China Architecture Tour: Ningbo


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Ningbo
July 27th 2017
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post


Previously I have asked Chinese where to visit architectural sites in China and they suggested Ningbo. Previously I knew it as one of China and the world’s largest port cities but was surprised to see there were ancient and modern architectural achievements there as well.


The First Building: Ningbo Museum

A massive building that has received great praise from the international architecture community, perhaps more than the contents inside.

The avant-garde works of award winning architect Wan Shu, Ningbo museum is constructed with walls made by brick, tile and other materials in the same way it was made and constructed for thousands of years in China. The interlocked building materials form a symbol that you’ll have to visit and discover for yourself. The building celebrates one of the most successful combinations of ancient and modern building.



Second Building: Drum Tower

Ningbo’s Drum Tower was actually constructed with a Roman-style bell on top and has other western architecture elements blended in for centuries. The base was built in the Ming dynasty, with upper levels built in the Qing Dynasty. Finally the bell tower was constructed in the Republic of China. To this day the drum tower is a common gathering location for locals and visitors.



The Third Building: Sanjiangjkou

The meeting of three rivers is just as spectacular as it sounds. European-style old building lit in the evening operate as tea houses, bars, cafes and is one of Ningbo’s most posh areas.




Ningbo really has enough architecture to visit for several days, however I managed all these three buildings in a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb