Qushui Hani Festival


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan
December 20th 2011
Published: December 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another hit and run festival. Although I didn't except anything from this, came to Jiangcheng just because I wanted to spend some time away from Yuanyang, escaped from the mist and cold. I couldn't find any background info about this Hani festival, only mentioned that the Linianjie Festival is a traditional feast of the Hani in Qushui area, and its main event was prepare a long banquet in the street, even the local couldn't tell much, only said it is different as Hani Newyear is normally on the Lunar October. but then later I heard people mentioned there will be a series of this festival in Mengla and Banna area within the next 10 days, perhaps it really a traditional event. Usually there would be Hani from Laos and Vietnam attending as well. But people said this year another big festival happened here just last week, "and people came from Laos and Vietnam" the man added. Anyways...the festival although not interest for me but it still attracted many vendors from the area. I heard people said how easy to made sale and business there when I asked about transportation to the village. And yes...the village actually turn out holding another market day! The road to Qushui is well paved and this year they held the festival in Longfu about 12km before Qushui, it was a totally new village as I didn't recall buildings on this road 10 years ago. They call this area "1 place for 3 countries" as it is actually right at the corner of China, Laos and Vietnam, they even started a border market 3 years ago in Longfu in every 10 days, and the village expanded. Not much to write about the festival itself, typical government orientated event with Party propaganda speeches, its started with the welcoming reception, then a rice threshing performance before an hour amateurish show, and finish with the banquet on the street that surrounded by street vendors, that was it! doesn't matter...I came mainly to check out the costume. Beside the Han, there are Hani and Dai in Qushui area. The Dai dress the same like in Banna and Jinping area. The Han actually dressed like the Yi, and those were similar to the tribe I had seen in Laos before and they call themselve Han too. the main tone is black and blue, they wear dark turban hat, long sleeve jacket bottoned on the right side, long trousers and a front apron with simple patch-work design. There are 3(or 4) different subgroups of Hani in the area, The Biyue Hani with flat panel headdress and the Simoluo Hani with the pointy headdress, both wore more silver and jewellery than usual that I had seen before. And there also the subgroup that I cannot be sure of the name...or...are they just the same group? but I think they should be the Kabu and the Gezuo. And of course the Luchun Hani and the Baihong Hani from the nearby area show up as well. Anyways...it made a pretty impress costume scene especially you wouldn't see that much in all the Jiangcheng's market, all the market in Jiangcheng area are rather insipid, only in Zhengdong and Kangping there might got a touch of minority colour. By 2pm the banquet was almost done, the sky was clear and sunny, I hadn't sweat for more than a week and I was soaked while walking out of town looking for transportation back to Jiangcheng.









Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb