CHINA: Zhongdian...the Road to Shangri-la


Advertisement
Asia » China » Yunnan » Zhongdian
September 2nd 2012
Published: September 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

CHINA: Zhongdian...the Road to Shangri-la. We have all been on hairy precipitous roads...one of the best...the road we took from Lijiang to reach the reason for my first trip to China...Shangri-la...brilliant. The road beyond to Tibet...impassible due to heavy snow. First bend of the Yangtze...the river takes a 180 degree turn...then heads deep into China...all the way to Shanghai. Signs warning... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




2nd September 2012

Quite a ride!
Sounds like quite a ride you had in the minivan! Crazy what they load onto a tiny boat to get across the river, but I guess you do what you have to do... Love the story of building a house and home around the rug, makes it a really special piece :-)
2nd September 2012

THANKS JO
What can I say? Shangri-la...special place...special stories...and the rug...always a special piece!
2nd September 2012

Waltzing Matilda??????
I've heard it all now! Here is Dave, trekking empty plateaus and the vast wilderness where no man (or woman) has boldly gone before and that is the best you can come up with??? Then again, I suppose it's better than the theme tune to Home and Away! Those Tibetan people are lovely folk but the most ruthless salespeople I have ever come across....maybe that is why the minibus drivers drive like maniacs; in a desperate attempt to flee from them! :)
2nd September 2012

Waltzing Matilda??????
I knew it...thanks for making it clear...but when the only other songs I knew the words for was your National Anthem & Nursery Rhymes...Waltzing Matilda went down really well!
2nd September 2012

Ah China ...
Always a special place, especially when traveling to remote places ... Reading your blog brought back so many memories (good ones and yes scary ones when it comes to traveling local style ...), thanks so much for sharing ! Now hope that despite a fast pace development they won't start to put concrete everywhere ... Seems to have changed quite a bit already .. but hospitality still the same, that's good! Side note on the rug, love the "rebuilding the house around it" story! got a few and simply don't go with anything but still love them, what to do ...
2nd September 2012

THANKS LAETITIA
Travels in China...always a special place. The rugs...gotta love them.
2nd September 2012
CROSSING THE YANGTZE

Crazy ride and beautiful rug, but this photo made my jaw drop.
2nd September 2012
CROSSING THE YANGTZE

THANKS MICHELLE
Nothing like a crazy ride for a crazy story. How can a truck so big...survive on a boat so small? Optimism or madness.
3rd September 2012

wow...
THAT IS CHINA!!!!!
3rd September 2012

HOLA GRACIELA
Nice to hear from you. Next time please log in so I can see your profile pic.
4th September 2012

CHINA!
I've really enjoyed your China blogs Dave! You continue to write your amazing adventures in this wonderful land and I haven't been able to stop reading them. Since it was my first trip out of the country I'm quite partial to China. Not to mention the fact I'm 25% Chinese. Please keep them coming! They're truly never boring!
4th September 2012

THANKS JOHNNY
I am delighted to hear from you...and that you are enjoying my China blogs. Yep...never boring...more to come...watch this space. Travel is all about experience & perspective. It is an honour to share with like-minded people...the essence of Travelblog. Your blogs are inspiring...keep up the good work.
4th September 2012

Love Your Writing Style!
We've been to Tibet on our way to India back in 2008. I've always wondered if it, too, had changed... Keep writing your fascinating blogs!
4th September 2012

THANKS NANCI
Nice to hear from you...more to come...watch this space.
8th September 2012

Narrow, twising, mountain roads
That sounded a frightening bus journey, but at least it led you to a place of wonderful memories!
8th September 2012

THANKS SHANE
Dong Feng territory...yeeka

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb