De la rizière à l'assiette/From the paddy to the plate


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Yuanyang
May 20th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ENGLISH

Our journey to Yuanyang in deep Yunnan took us through the meandering roads and valleys of Honghe prefecture and up into the hills. Our bus driver must have O.D.'ed on or something. After 5 hours our nerves were shot by a combination of incessant claxon use and erratic accelerating, swerving and blind bend overtaking. As a wise women once said "It was as if he was worried about missing his own funeral". You also had to be wary of errant flob and spittle from the lady in front catching you in the face as she gobbed haphazardly out the window every 5 minutes. Aside from the transport worries the landscape we passed through was beautiful. Banana trees, lush green fields, red earth, water buffalo and reed hats.

In Yuanyang most of the town stopped dead in their tracks as we jumped off the bus: the Hani women in their traditional outfits, the tricycle taxi drivers, the cooks, the thieves, their wives, their lovers and of course their kids, all stopped, stared, nudged, laughed or ran inside.

We searched in vain for the Backpacker Rendezvous hostel and discovered that it had closed some time ago. The next best option was the official Yunnan Tourist Governmental Hotel, staffed not by CCP officials but by a guy who walked off halfway through us asking for a room in our bad Mandarin and by a girl who seemed to be wondering what the hell we could possibly want from her as she sat behind the reception desk of the hotel: the time; pie to the 12th decimal; an organ donation; weapons grade uranium? Who could fathom it? In the end assisted by an earthbound angel called Sky, who happened to be passing by, we checked in. Our 40 yuan room was missing the bathroom we'd forgotten to specify, but it was liveable. The shared bathrooms, however, like most public toilets in China, were built with the Communist spirit in mind i.e. To share is to win! No doors, an ankle high dividing wall between each hole and inoperable flushes. Jesus crapping Christ...

The place we were planning to stay at had transformed itself into a cafe/bar and travel info place and they helped us arrange transport to see the rice terraces and towns around Yuanyang the following morning. We ended up having dinner with a Dutch couple and their American guide/interpreter in a place we wouldn't have found on our own. It looked like a garage with a table and a few chairs but next to that was the kitchen, which helpfully had all the possible ingredients for dinner laid out on a rack. After some pointing, miming and some help from America we drank beer, rice wine and ate enough for a king, a queen and their entire court. A great preparation for a 0500 start to catch the sunrise over the terraces.

Sure enough a minivan was waiting outside at 0530 the following morning. An hour or so later of bumpy rock littered road and after passing in half light some spectacular valley wide rice terraces, we arrived at Daisho, where the sun was just coming up. Though it was cloudy the effect was incredible. As far as we could see down the valley there were broad sweeps of 'S's, the snaking edges of the terraces, the sky and rays of sunshine reflecting off of the thousands of pools of water coloured green or brown or bluey grey.

One too many pictures later we bumped into Tang from Malaysia and the owner of the place she was staying at. We were invited for a breakfast of peanut porridge made tasty by the addition of fermented tofu (the good stuff not the stuff that smells). Tang who spoke Mandarin joined us for the rest of our day checking out viewpoints over the relentlessly impressive terraces - tilled by men in old Mao suit jackets and wide Chinese hats and women in traditional Hani minority wear aided by huge water buffalo.

As we bumped our way to the market at Laosheng we passed a multitude of locals going about their business: men smoking bamboo bongs, a policeman and friends butchering a cow in the street, Hani, Itsu and Yi women carrying crops, people mourning with white head bands and firecrackers. There were also pot bellied pigs, water buffalo and cows playing chicken with our minivan.

At the market, as well as people trying to sell us their wares: lychees, tobacco, shoes, traditional clothing there was the usual stopping and staring. We tried to capture some of the looks of amazement on camera but mostly their expressions turned to smiles or they'd turn away and steal glances over their shoulders. Both Nat and I bought some shoes for a pound for those days roaming the paddy fields and for when we're getting rained on during the monsoon in India.

The next day we moved to the hostel in Daisho where Tang was staying and visited another market nearby. After that and lunch we went to chill out before a trek through the paddies. We were woken by some ugly screaming and ran outside to find four guys man-handling a big pig. They were tying its legs as it screamed and struggled, then tied its mouth which reduced the noise a fraction. Once they'd heaved it onto a table and brought out a knife it was obvious what was next. The problem was that the four guys were not expert slaughtermen, so it took at least 15 minutes for the poor creature to stop struggling and screaming and finally die, during which time the crew had collected a couple of bowls of pig blood, which they mixed with salt for a treat later on. They then spent the next two hours or so pouring boiling water over it and scraping off its hair.

The next we saw of it was when it appeared in the little courtyard for butchering: Happily our host had hoses and taps at the edge of her patio, so we watched as Mrs Pig, who only three hours before had been minding her own business, was beheaded, gutted, chopped into four and tossed in a basket. Even her stomach and intestines were turned inside out and washed. No wastage whatsoever.

Bar the clumsy way they bled the pig to death, it was interesting to see how they went about slaughtering and preparing the pig. I wasn't too affected by the whole thing but the teeth marks in Nathalie's scarf told a different story and Tang who's a vegetarian was an unhappy witness, though she was taking pictures too. Surprisingly neither of them were in the mood for the pork ribs we were presented with for dinner alongside an array of wild vegetables our host had picked during the day. Happily the ribs weren't from the pig we'd seen being killed as we had found out that the reason it was killed was because it was ill and it's owners figured they'd get more for it now than when it got iller(?).

So Yuanyang. Well worth a visit to see the contrast between it and other parts of China, breathe some fresh air and see the incredible landscape. Our facilities were basic but still several worlds apart from the hard and simple lives the locals live.

FRANÇAIS

On était dans un avion entre Kunming et Lijiang quand je suis tombée par hasard sur une brochure un peu froissée qui traînait dans la pochette du siège devant moi. C’était une brochure en papier glacé, pour la plus grande partie écrite en chinois, mais avec un peu d’anglais et beaucoup de photos (superbes les photos!): des paysages de rizières en terrasses jusqu’à perte de vue, des femmes en costume traditionnel, des banquets de rue… Je montre ma découverte à Jason : « Et si on allait à Yuanyang (le nom sur la brochure) après Lijiang et les Gorges du Saut du Tigre? »

Une dizaine de jours plus tard…

Nous passons notre dernière heure de bus (sur 6 au total) dans les méandres d’une route de montagne, chavirés de droite à gauche (une fois de plus, le chauffeur est un peu fou), tandis que dehors, la nature prend peu à peu des allures tropicales: bananiers, rizières et buffles au travail, paysages très verts, terre couleur de feu…

…Yuanyang : enfin! Nous descendons du bus et pendant quelques instants, le monde autour de nous s’arrête de tourner : les paysannes Hani dans leur costume brodé, les chauffeurs de taxi sur leur tricycle à moteur, les cuisiniers derrières leur étale ambulante, les voleurs, les femmes et leurs amants, les enfants… Tout le monde s’arrête pour nous observer, donner un coup de coude à son voisin («Vise un peu ces deux énergumènes!»), rire puis se réfugier dans sa chaumière ou bien fuir en courant...

Notre guide de voyage sur la Chine (Rough Guide édition 2005 acheté d’occas’ en Australie) ne comporte qu’une demi-page (sur 600 au total) au sujet de Yuanyang et de sa région. Il y a mention d’un hôtel du nom de Backpacker Rendezvous. Nous nous lançons à sa recherche... en vain. Nous découvrons quelques instants plus tard que l’hôtel en question n’existe plus et s’est maintenant reconverti en office de tourisme/café/bar.
Plan B donc… L’Hôtel Gouvernemental du Peuple du Comté de Yuanyang. Non, pas de membres du parti communiste à la réception de l’hôtel. Seulement une jeune fille incapable qui vraiment se creuse la tête pendant un quart d’heure, se demandant ce que deux pélerins comme nous peuvent bien pouvoir lui demander… L’heure? Le nombre Pi avec une précision de 14 décimales? Un don d’organe? Des armes nucléaires?… Heureusement, grâce à l’intervention du Ciel (littéralement puisqu’une amie de la réceptioniste du nom de Sky et parlant un peu l’anglais est venue à notre rescousse), nous pouvons finalement nous installer dans notre chambre à 40 Yuans (4 Euros) sans salle de bain (Oups! On a oublié de préciser). On partagera donc salle de bain et toilettes avec le peuple (toilettes agencées dans l’esprit coco bien entendu… Mais bon, comme dit la maxime, partager, c’est gagner! N’est-ce pas Sandrine?).

Nos baggages posés, nous ressortons aussitôt pour nous rendre jusqu'à l’office de tourisme/café/bar et organiser la visite des environs de Yuanyang le lendemain. Mission accomplie, nous montons sur le toit du café pour savourer une bière bien meritée…

On termine la soirée par un dîner bien copieux, en compagnie d’un couple de hollandais et de leur guide/interprête américain, dans un endroi que nous n’aurions jamais trouvé (ou choisi) nous-même. L’entrée de l’établissement a l’air d’un garage avec une table et 4 chaises. La cuisine se trouve juste à coté, avec tous les ingrédients exposés sur des étagères (viandes, œufs, tomates, choux, champignons, coriandre, assortiments d’épices…) ou dans des bassines posées sur le sol (anguilles et autres poissons d’eau douce). Après, pour commander c’est facile : on montre du doigt, on fait des mimes et des bruitages («Pschhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!», c’est pour «frit») et on se fait aider un peu par les Etats-Unis. Un repas de roi et de reine ce soir-là, arrosé de Tsingtao et de quelques larmes d’alcool de riz. Mise en jambe parfaite pour un coup d’envoi à 5h00 le lendemain matin...

Le lendemain matin…

Il est 5h30 et le combi Volkswagen est à l’heure au rendez-vous devant notre hôtel du peuple. Une heure plus tard, nous sommes à Daisho et nous admirons le lever du soleil au-dessus des terrasses qui, noyées par l'eau d'irrigation, forment des milliers de miroirs qui réfléchissent la lumière rose du ciel matinal… Ahhhhh! Quelle poésie!

Quelques photos de trop plus tard, au milieu des champs, nous tombons sur Tang de Malaisie (qui parle mandarin, malais et... anglais) et la propriétaire du gîte où elle loge. Nous sommes invités pour un petit-déjeuner de porridge au riz et aux cacahuètes avec du tofu fermenté en option (beeeuuurk!).

Tang décide de nous rejoindre pour le reste de la journée et nous partons en direction du marché de Laosheng, avec plusieurs arrêts en chemin pour prendre davantage de photos. On assiste à des scènes de la vie quotidienne: des paysannes Hani et Yi portent des plants de riz sur le dos et se dirigent vers les champs; des vieillards sont assis à l'entrée de leur demeure et fument à l'aide de gros morceaux de bambou; un policier et ses amis découpent de la viande de boeuf sur le bord de la route; des hommes avec de larges bandes de tissu blanc nouées autour de la tête font éclater des pétards: ils sont en deuil. En Chine, le blanc est la couleur de la mort.

Nous arrivons finalement au marché de Laosheng. Notre arrivée se fait (une fois de plus) remarquer: les gens s'arrêtent, les yeux équarquillés... Un peu de tout sur le marché, dont (dans l'ordre alphabétique): des chaussures, des champignons, des lychees, du poisson, des prédictions, du tabac, des tissus, du tofu, des vêtements...

Le lendemain, on décide de déménager de l'hôtel du peuple pour aller s’installer à Daisho, dans l'auberge où se trouve Tang.
Nouvelle ballade sur un nouveau marché. On rentre un peu avant midi, juste à temps pour assister au passage à la casserole d’un cochon. Vraiment pas joli à voir. Une vraie charcuterie, c’est le cas de le dire... Le nez et les pattes ligotés, le pauvre cochon n’a rien pu faire contre ses 4 agresseurs... On a appris ensuite qu’il était malade. Perte d’appétit : il n’avait pas mangé depuis 2 jours.

Conclusion et morales de cette histoire (parce qu’il y en a plusieurs):

1. C’est grâce au mauvais boulot des ménagères de la compagnie China Eastern qu’on a pu découvrir Yuangyang.
2. Le nombre de pages dans un guide de voyage n’est pas forcément proportionnel à la beauté et à l’intérêt d’un lieu.
3. A Yuanyang, l’homme s’est montré capable d’exploiter la nature tout en l’embellissant.
4. Quand on est un cochon, il vaut mieux ne pas tomber malade.

Autre chose?



Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Boy on a wallBoy on a wall
Boy on a wall

He was still there the next day


Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 24; qc: 81; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb