CHINA...FACES of YUNNAN


Advertisement
Asia » China » Yunnan » Shigu (Stone Drum Town)
September 14th 2012
Published: September 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

CHINA...FACES of YUNNAN. I was brought up with Dr Who and Monty Python...had an otherwise mis-spent youth...comics and snooker halls...so when I read in Lonely Planet's China...that John Cleese had visited a mythical doctor in the mountains of Yunnan...I took notice. His name was Dr Ho...from Baisha...once capital of the Naxi until defeated by Kublai Khan...now an ancient village just north ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 92, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




14th September 2012

Good to see LP got something right for once ;)
I'll have to make my way up there and see if he has anything for my bunions! Then again, like you Dave, I'm not really that interested in finding out what else 'may' be wrong with me. However, it does sounds like the good ol' Beijing water is the cure for all ills....does it keep ex-wives away too???
15th September 2012

THANKS NICK
Dr Ho would be pleased to see you again Nick...diagnosis by donation...herbs to cure bunions...sure can...just soak in Beijing Water...and watch them disappear...in front of your eyes!
14th September 2012

Smiling faces
Clearly the people in these amazing photos have been touched by the Dancing Dave magic. You can see in their faces that they are responding to you, not just smiling for a photo, and I'm sure they have as great memories of you as you have of them. You open the door for the rest of us travelers--thanks.
15th September 2012

THANKS TARA
What can I say?...Thanks
15th September 2012

Master of the portrait
Once again you have provided superb photos of those you met along the way. Being nurses we love the Chinese medicine stories. Maybe we need to take the cure.
15th September 2012

HI DAVE & MERRY JO
Do I believe in Chinese Medicine...sure do. Do I believe in the power of Beijing Water...sure do. Other than curing my arm...Next blog will tell you why!
15th September 2012

Love this area.
Fantastic [photo=7144539]
15th September 2012

you always amaze us with 'the faces' photos!!
.....and of course it is good to see famous Dr. Ho;-) B&T
15th September 2012

HI BEATA & TOMEK
Great to hear from you guys and glad you are checking out my China blogs...yours were very special. And did you meet Dr Ho...and if so, did he come to meet you?
16th September 2012
TIBETAN

I love this pic..
Something compels me to keep coming back for another look at this wonderful shot. Brilliant stuff Dave! This guy really does look like he would be great to share a few jugs of Tibetan mead and a glass or two of yak milk with :)
17th September 2012

Every picture tells a story don't it. Well done. Laughed at the interesting bloke shit tea. Expect nothing less of John Cleese.
17th September 2012

THANKS ANDREA
Every picture tells a story...every face a reflection of their life...my privilege to share them
17th September 2012

Brilliant pictures
I do love your pictures. Of course it´s true that it´s only because of the people, the different cultures, but you are a great discoverer of faces and reactions!!!
17th September 2012

THANKS GRACIELA
Discoverer of faces & reactions...thank you for your kind words. I really enjoy the interaction...and their generosity in allowing me.
17th September 2012

Dont you just love them Chinese.
This has been my kind of blog Dave. I just love the kookiness of the Chinese, the germs of 1000 years in your arm, just brilliant. I'm betting on a more positive note that you also have a prosperity palace nose and ears of abundance? I was told by many a medicine man there that you can't live a full and happy life without them, which you clearly are/so have....Best wishes Claire
17th September 2012

THANKS CLAIRE
I've still got my arm...and a bit of soul. Been called many things...prosperity palace nose & ears...first time...not sure whether I should thank you for that! Glad you enjoyed the blog...my pleasure to relive my adventures in China...more abundances to come...watch this space!
18th September 2012

Gorgeous portraits
They are beautiful portraits...I particularly like Mosuo...I like the getup!
18th September 2012

THANKS RACHAEL
Mosuo...the people from Lugu Lake...matriachal society...where the women are in charge...nice choice.
18th September 2012

Prosperity palace nose / Ears of Abundance
A prosperity palace nose is good news. It means you have An abundance of wealth that will follow you where ever you go, you may not win the lotto or be born into wealth but your needs will always be looked after by kind people where ever you go. Ears of abundance, means you hear much in life which will always direct you if you listen....to success. The Chinese said I have both, I got used to people pointing to my nose then wanting to read my fortunes. Was so funny.
18th September 2012

Prosperity palace nose / Ears of Abundance
Thanks for this dose of Chinese wisdom, Claire. You have it...wishful thinking so do I. Once had Master of Scholar Woodcarving approach me in Xian saying I was an artist...he could tell by my eyes...the way I looked at things! Funny thing was he was right...I too was a woodcarver!
18th September 2012
MIAO SHAMAN IN SHIGU

Yunnan is my favourite province of china- reading your account makes me want to return...
20th September 2012

Exceptional blog
sure makes a more interesting read than Lonely Planet. I might drive to Yunan again during the National Day "golden week". Apparently all the toll fees are free for the week !
20th September 2012

THANKS DEAN
Glad you have discovered "my" Great China Road Trip...never a dull moment...join me for the ride. Never heard of Golden Week with no tolls. When & where is that?
20th September 2012

Surely a candidate for Blogger of the Week
Come to think of it, how come you've not got this title yet !?
20th September 2012

Golden Week
We have the National Day holidays from 29th Sept to 6th October, China's version of the Japanese Golden Week holidays. Everything closes down, and many Chinese go back to their hometowns, so in order to facilitate the madness of people travelling back home by bus, train, plane etc, the government have decided that expressway toll fees will be waived for the week.
20th September 2012

GOLDEN WEEK
Thanks for that Dean. Sounds like Chinese New Year if the populous return to their home towns in Golden Week.
22nd September 2012
TIBETAN

What a wonderful face...
...and you've captured it so beautifully in this image!
22nd September 2012
TIBETAN

THANKS SHANE
Smiling with the wisdom of ages

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb