garbage gunpowder and good times


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Kunming
February 27th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arriving back in China at the end of the Lunar New Year celebrations I found Kunming familiarly strange as I was re-assaulted by the smells and sights of China. I've never seen a runway like this one - 5 and 6 storey apartment buildings huddle on the edge of the grass surrounding the tarmac, and the plane descended straight into the centre of the city...
Tegan and Mick met me at the airport, after the inevitable Thai airways delays, and we walked straight out of the airport and onto a bus. The grey concrete matched the grey sky perfectly, and the sun's warmth was illusionary and quickly blown away by the icy breeze. However, I was pretty excited to be back and the catchup and cerebral challenge of changing my brain's language settings again kept me warm, not to mention the trek up the hill to the flat we're staying in.
Graciously hosted by some (mostly absent) Qebecans, our current home is a small flat on a hill which would have once overlooked the "City of Eternal Spring". Unfortunately for us, the view has been impeded by enormous construction sites which ring out with the sounds of progress from a very early hour.

Fungalhorse's fond reunion has resulted in several new songs, a few very new members and a couple of gigs lined up across Kunming, Dali and Chengdu so far before heading back to Hong Kong in late March to crossbreed with the Brown Note Collective.

Days are filled with good food, dodgy dvd's, jamming, occasional trips to laowaiji for internet or fancy coffee or trying to think up stage names for our friends, and it's a pretty relaxed life really.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb