The Silk Road...Plus


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang
October 15th 2012
Published: October 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Forbidden City - Tiananmen SquareForbidden City - Tiananmen SquareForbidden City - Tiananmen Square

This vast square was full of tourists from all over China...and a few Westerners.
September is a good time to visit northern China. The blistering 40+ temperatures of Summer have finished, the Winter deep freeze is still many weeks away and it will be March before the desert sandstorms of Spring. The birch and larch forests are putting on their best autumn colours and the nomadic communities are packing up their yurts and herding their livestock from the high grasslands down to the towns.

We began our four week trip through northern and western China in the second week of September. There were six members in our group as well as Hans, our leader. Hans has been leading groups to China regularly for the past ten years and has an intimate knowledge of the country and people.

The main focus of the trip was to follow the Silk Road from Xi'An to Kashgar in the far west. We also spent time on a number of side trips visiting sites of historical, cultural and religious significance as well as some top rated sites of great natural beauty.

The "Silk Road" was a series of interconnecting roads used from about 1500BC to the 15C AD. It gradually developed into a 6 500km network. By
Forbidden City - Inner CourtyardForbidden City - Inner CourtyardForbidden City - Inner Courtyard

You didn't need much imagination to visualise the impact this would have had for those first westerners on the Silk Road.
the 1stC BC it was the major highway transporting goods, knowledge, art, music and religious ideas between Europe, the Near East, India and China. One of those goods was silk which had been first produced in China around 3000BC.

Our 7 000km trip involved some flights but most of the travelling was by train or in our minibus. We had several local guides who met us at each major destination and spent up to three days with us, sharing their knowledge of local history and customs.

We visited many locations where there were few, if any, westerners. We were often the subject of interest from the many Chinese who themselves were enjoying their holiday break. Hardly a day went by when we weren't asked to pose for an individual or group photo.

This thoroughly enjoyable and much anticipated trip provided us with many insights into the Silk Road...plus much more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beijing architectureBeijing architecture
Beijing architecture

"Big is beautiful" - we think this one was built to resemble a dragon! Plenty of this style of architecture in Beijing.
Property bubble?Property bubble?
Property bubble?

Wherever we went on our trip we saw these huge housing estates under construction. We wondered how many would be sold.
The Great Wall - JinshanlingThe Great Wall - Jinshanling
The Great Wall - Jinshanling

We drove 120 km north of Beijing and spent a day walking and climbing over this original T'ang period section of the wall.
The Great WallThe Great Wall
The Great Wall

Some parts were showing signs of neglect after 500 years!
The Great Wall The Great Wall
The Great Wall

What a climb!
Yungang CavesYungang Caves
Yungang Caves

The Silk Road brought the Buddhist religion from India. In this complex there are hundreds of Buddhist statues and temples carved out of solid rock.
Yungang Buddhist CavesYungang Buddhist Caves
Yungang Buddhist Caves

Massive statues cut out of living rock almost 2000 years ago.
Hanging Monastery - HunyuanHanging Monastery - Hunyuan
Hanging Monastery - Hunyuan

This incredible structure has hung precariously on the side of a sheer cliff for over 1000 years.
Hanging Monastery - HunyuanHanging Monastery - Hunyuan
Hanging Monastery - Hunyuan

A sheer drop and not for the faint-hearted!
Hunyuan - Hanging MonasteryHunyuan - Hanging Monastery
Hunyuan - Hanging Monastery

Spectacular views but hold on!
Hua Shan Mountain - climb to the topHua Shan Mountain - climb to the top
Hua Shan Mountain - climb to the top

You have to be alert on this narrow section!
Hua Shan - craggy granite peaksHua Shan - craggy granite peaks
Hua Shan - craggy granite peaks

The ubiquitous padlocks with a Chinese twist.
Hua Shan Mountain - East PeakHua Shan Mountain - East Peak
Hua Shan Mountain - East Peak

The mist came in giving us a magical view.
Lanzhou - on the Yellow RiverLanzhou - on the Yellow River
Lanzhou - on the Yellow River

This city of 6 million is built in a narrow valley hemmed in by the river and mountains.
LanzhouLanzhou
Lanzhou

The mosques have a very distinctive Chinese character.
Lake KanasLake Kanas
Lake Kanas

This lady was doing a good trade on a brisk morning - it was freezing and the Red Army jackets were selling like hotcakes!
Morning view - Lake KanasMorning view - Lake Kanas
Morning view - Lake Kanas

The river running from this glacial lake was picture perfect - we could hardly move for the hundreds of Chinese locals who were also capturing the scene.
Lake KanasLake Kanas
Lake Kanas

An early start was worth it for the morning light on the glacial waters.


18th October 2012

Produce your own book on The Silk Road
Thank you so much for sharing these photos. They were stunning and I loved the Faces of China at the end. Wonderful photography and camera.
18th October 2012

Wow!
Hi Rick & Jan, thanks for including us in, absolutely loved seeing the photos. We are of course jealous! Looks amazing..............
18th October 2012
The Great Wall

That looks like hard work!
18th October 2012
Hua Shan Mountain - climb to the top

Why do you do such terrifying things on holiday??
18th October 2012

Faces of china
Some haunting, some funny, some weary but all of them strikingly memorable. What an amazing trek!
26th October 2012

just found the blog, Tye accidently hid it !
Thankyou for sharing your trip with me, it looked absolutely fasinating...on my wish list when I win the lottery now ! xxx

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb