Day 6, 7 and 8


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
June 12th 2015
Published: June 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

We're back to blogging since returning to Chengdu from Lhasa today! No internet access at all in Tibet!

So a lot of catching up to do! Day 6 and 7 were basically in a train, 42 hours along the Tangu - La pass at 5,072m on the Qinghai - Tibet rail line!

The railway is built on a permafrost and the Chinese continually ensure it stays that way! The train's about 15 carriages long, with compartments with 6 bunks to each, with a narrow corridor alongside to seat and eat and watch the Tibet countryside roll by.

Day 6 became day 7 and still we climbed. Scott woke up with his head spinning and feeling nauseous. Altitude sickness seriously kicking in! Threw up all he ate so stayed in bed trying not to move and keeping his eyes closed!

Day 8 we were up at 5.30 am to see the sunrise over the mountain pass. Awesome. The Oxygen is pumped into the carriages at night since we are now over 5,000m.

The train finally pulled into Lhasa and Scott was extremely glad to get back on terra ferma! We met our tour Tibetan guide, Tse Wang, our driver from Chengdu and the tour bus we would be travelling in for the next few days. They took us to our hotel, where we had a much needed shower and a change of clothes!

Lhasa is 3,600m above sea level!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb