FACES OF TIBET


Advertisement
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
November 2nd 2013
Published: November 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF TIBET. Some places you go because you have to...some because you need to...some because the opportunity arises...some because the road leads you there...some because you dream that nags your soul...and some because you can. Tibet was for those reasons and more...one of those destinations I dreamed about but never dreamed I could. Then one day I just did. ***** I'd had two trips t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 104, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

MOTHER & CHILDMOTHER & CHILD
MOTHER & CHILD

Photo courtesy of Denise...the eyes tell her story...a haunting image of Tibet
PILGRIMPILGRIM
PILGRIM

Photo courtesy of Denise
HEADING HOMEHEADING HOME
HEADING HOME

Photo courtesy of Simon...one of my favourite images of Tibet



2nd November 2013

Lucky to see it at its prime.
Doesn't look as cold as I imagine it would be in January, but I'm sure it was. I visited in 2004, when was this... and what is it like now?
2nd November 2013

Lucky to see it at its prime.
I have seen very recent photos of the circumambulation route around Jokhang Temple dug up, scaffolding along large sections. I understand part of the Barkhor area is being converted into a massive shopping mall as part of the "modernisation" of Lhasa. Jokhang temple is a UNESCO Heritage site so hopefully it will not be "modernised". No matter what is the result of these works, we were lucky to see it as it was. We were there January 2007 and it was very mild even at night. Was supposed to be minus 10 C or more but Simon & I walked around the Barkhor late one night in much lighter clothes than if we were in say Beijing.
2nd November 2013

Take my picture!
Wow, what a perfect introduction/invitation to portrait photography! You captured some great faces and colorful outfits. And how brilliant to go in the winter to be with pilgrims rather than other tourists--good show!
2nd November 2013

Take my picture!
I really hope I can take your picture one day Tara...dreaming of the day. You can guess how thrilled I was to be in Lhasa with so many friendly pilgrims and so few tourists...the definition of serendipity. I hear now the stream of pilgrims to the Barkhor has stopped which breaks my heart. I find it hard to believe. Time will tell.
2nd November 2013

Another wow moment!
As so many before it when I read your blog. I keep coming back for more and more and I always leave with a smile. Great post adorned with many great pictures, as always great quality abound whit Dancing Dave. =)
2nd November 2013

Another wow moment!
Thanks Per-Olof. I always appreciate your comments. The portraits in this blog really warm my heart with special memories. Proves a a pocket point & shoot can capture great images. I don't know if the pilgrims would have been as comfortable if I had a big camera...maybe not!
2nd November 2013

We had planned to go
We were supposed to go during last years trip but they changed the visa requirements right before we left. We were disappointed but hope it can happen some day. "descending the clouds"
2nd November 2013

We had planned to go
The scary thing about travel MJ...sometimes the chance not only passes by...but is lost. The fear is the modernisation of Lhasa by 2020 that is mooted may destroy the flavour of Tibetan culture in that city. I guess the rest of Tibet may be retained but the general vibe in the place is changing. We felt it when visiting the Potala in particular where monks were restricted to civilian dress and security was over the top.
2nd November 2013

So this is where your fascination with portraits started!
Even from the beginning they were great. Was this the first time you took your kids overseas? It seems to have given them the lust for travel. Simon is in Toronto...I guess he has moved on from being a ski bum. Is Anne-Louise back from her law school courses in China? Did she enjoy her time there?
2nd November 2013

So this is where your fascination with portraits started!
When surrounded by thousands of amazing faces...is it any wonder I developed a love of portraits? Anna-Lou has now graduated in Law to add to her Journalism degree...now planning to meet Simon in Central America. Hard to admit considering we are travel junkies but our kids have been to more countries than we have!!!
2nd November 2013
MY FACE OF TIBET

This looks like the Tibetan version of Snoop Dogg ;)
2nd November 2013
MY FACE OF TIBET

This looks like the Tibetan version of Snoop Dogg ;)
I hope that's a good thing! Thanks for commenting. This guy epitomises "life experience and cool" in my book. The sort of guy I'd like to learn where life has led him.
3rd November 2013

Tibet!
I don't know if I'd ever get the chance.... But I have always dreamed of going. Hopefully before so much has changed. You're lucky to have seen it back in 2007. And yes, love those portraits. You are sooo right about shooting with humongous cams making some feeling uncomfortable. Those shots you took with your pocket cam look like you've made so many friends!
3rd November 2013

Tibet!
Hi Lili. Hope you get there, but I guess you got my hint the best time is when there are heaps of pilgrims and few tourists, so Winter is my ideal for that purpose but restrictive cold wise in many areas of Tibet. Yet with the stream of pilgrims to Lhasa reduced politically one could still visit the sites in warmer times, though the ambience would be among many tourists. I made the comments about the camera size as some ran a mile when they saw me with albeit a pocket camera. Still hope you get there!
3rd November 2013

Memories
Thanks for reminding me of an amazing destination that is/was Lhasa especially during a pilgrimage & the importance of seizing the moment & visiting these fabled places before the superpowers/extremists destroy them eg Lhasa & Timbuktu
9th November 2013

Memories
I remember the military like presence in the Potala...the monasteries that had been destroyed since the Chinese took over...the immolation of Tibetan monks...the exile of the Dalai Lama...and the wonderful friendly times we always have in China. I cannot reconcile...Why did it have to go so wrong?
4th November 2013

I ALWAYS STOP AND HAVE A LOOK
Yes, that is what I do whenever you write a blog. The place is on my list, for sure. I also agree with what you say. I do hope it doesn´t change. I do hope they remain free. When I travel I consider people the most important aim of my trips. People make the most beautiful landscape because they are part of the human creation. You should make big portarits and show them in a publis exhibition. Great work. Hugs from Argentina. Graciela.
4th November 2013

I ALWAYS STOP AND HAVE A LOOK
Appreciate your comments Graciela. Probably my favourite subjects for portraits are those that show life experience in their faces or those that have very little, because they are the ones most comfortable in their own skin & not self conscious. Faces of Tibet show all of that.
28th November 2013

Your blogs are so informative. I enjoyed reading them and the pictures are just awesome. Nice photography.
28th November 2013

Thanks touristang-pinoy
or is it Henry? Really appreciate you commenting. I do a lot of portrait blogs and this is a special one to me. Many genuinely friendly faces...magic part of the World.
10th March 2016
POTALA PALACE

Wow!
I can't believe I haven't seen this photo before! This shows why you are my favourite TB photographer!
11th March 2016
POTALA PALACE

Wow!
I haven't seen this pic for a while Per-Olof...the Potala. Faces of Tibet...talk about great memories! My favourite portrait blog.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb