The innocent world of children


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tianjin
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 at Prince of Peace Children's home brought about new challenges. On our list were duties like "baby care" which includes bringing my ward, JJ to the classroom today.

JJ is not able to walk and my duty include helping to bring her to the 3rd level classroom where she joined some 5 other children to learn a lesson on "parts of a face". The two local teachers were cheerful in teaching - though a teacher myself for many years, it was interesting to see how they taught this group of special children.

They started the lesson by singing a song to bring class to attention. Next, roll-call is when each child is asked to point out which face is her/hers 😊 After that, lesson proper began where 4 oout of 5 senses were engaged - sight, smell, touch and hearing.

JJ who has rather weak legs, also learnt how to strengthen her legs by standing up throughout the lesson with the help of a special "walker". She was a good gal and did her part with occasional chuckle.

In those moments when I manage to catch her chuckling, it was such a beautiful sight. Tho'
Some cranes Some cranes Some cranes

The result of great teaching by Mee Lar
intellectually and physically she can never match the "usual" kid u have at home, her innocence and contentment with what she has been given impressed me greatly.

At meal times, it was a breeze to feed her. She chuckled frequently in her own little world or when i tickle her toes or touch her little fingers or forehead. She has soft wavy baby hair and adorable eyes.

In times like this, it is when a glimpse of heaven can be seen - as Jesus says, "Let the children come to me..." and I felt very blessed to be able to participate in this simple routine of just being around her, feeding and watching her small little moments.

Some of the "ah yi's" told me that we are kind folks as we volunteer. But i will say that my gain from being around these special children and their caregivers taught me so much more than what I give.

They bring out the kindness and compassion in me - and force me to slow down, take time for people and appreciate the beauty in each of them. The Bible says that "we are made in the image of
Hot plate Seafood Hot plate Seafood Hot plate Seafood

the local version of "zhi char"
God" and indeed each child in their innocence - even if they are special children with disabilities, are beautiful in God's eyes. One day, in heaven, they will have a different and better life 😊

The rest of the day passed quickly with Diana n myself learning how to do teaching aids for the children. I have never drawn animals before and so we went about doing the best we can - copying, tracing and coloring with great diligence (with crayons!) for each pix we drew 😊

I m happy to say that now i can fold a paper crane (ha ha, with step-by-step instruction by Mee Lar) and also draw some decent animals like snake, monkey and elephant - of course, with lotsa of copying...

The day ended with us teaching simple conversational English to some staff from World Vision.

What a great day!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb