Horrid Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
April 13th 2007
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.67, 104.07

I'd visited Chengdu before. My clearest memories were of funeral shops and pollution. I optimistically thought there was probably much more to the city, particuarly as I was to spend the next 3 months of my life based there. However, my memory was not playing tricks on me. Chengdu has won the esteemed title of 'Worse City in China.'


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Chengdu roadsChengdu roads
Chengdu roads

Going nowhere!
Driving MachineDriving Machine
Driving Machine

How Bill taught himself to drive. He's got his driving license after only 1 time on a real road! Most of the tests sounded like dance lessons for cars. He knows how to parallel park on top of an icy mountain but from my experience of Chinese drivers, he's probably not all that sure of what to do with a traffic light!!
Feeding the fishFeeding the fish
Feeding the fish

Our favourite place in Chengdu, where you can feed the hundreds of friendly, good luck and good fortune fish.
Fire breathingFire breathing
Fire breathing

The Sichuan Opera was very impressive especially the 'Changing Faces' performance.
Fishing for tadpolesFishing for tadpoles
Fishing for tadpoles

A favourite weekend past time in one of Chengdu's parks.
HotpotHotpot
Hotpot

Hotpot is Chengdu's most popular food. It's good fun dropping the raw meat and vegetables into the boiling water though it's a test of patience waiting for it to cook! It all ends up tasting the same once dipped in the peanut oil sauce. The locals numb all tastebuds by dipping their food into a bath of sizzling spices!
Prayer timePrayer time
Prayer time

The monks at The Wenshu Temple, stealing themselves away from their mobile phones and ipods to prayer for humility and peace!
ProcessionProcession
Procession

Students on military training go for a march
TeahouseTeahouse
Teahouse

Chengdu is famous for its teahouses. The locals spend their days getting constant refills, having their ears picked and playing mahrjong.
The World is an Elephant!The World is an Elephant!
The World is an Elephant!

Ancient Buddhist thought believes that the earth is balanced on an elephant standing on a turtle.
Traditional Marriage TransportationTraditional Marriage Transportation
Traditional Marriage Transportation

If I was getting married in China according to ancient Chinese tradition, I would be carried on this to the groom's house. Luckily for whoever the driver may have been, this tradition isn't really observed anymore.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb