Yangtze - Chongqing - Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
April 15th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.67, 104.07

Farewells, hugs and handshakes all round and that was the end of the cruise. Our new travelling companions dispersed in the blink of an eye - we wish them well on their individual adventures.

Mac had emerged from the bathroom last night with a "Houston, I think we have a problem." For some reason it looked as if the Yangzte was flowing back into the bathroom through the shower floor. There was water everywhere - seriously lapping over the tops of our feet. We were debating the solution when there was a shrill ring from the phone. I picked it up and recognised the name Coco - but after that it was a stream of broken Chinese/English. We were pretty impressed that somehow Coco knew we were into it up to our armpits (well not quite) and assumed that the water must have been leaking through our floor onto the Captain's head on the bridge, which was below our room. It turned out to be just a coincidence of timing - Coco was simply returning our laundry. But again, she did save the day and got some help to get rid of the water.

Mind you, we showered again this morning with the same outcome. Paul, you will be proud - handyman Mac removed the drain cover and did a bit of swirling around and magically the water started to drain away. Your plumbing lessons have come in handy and yes, you guessed it, Mac was my hero again!

We disembarked the ship with the same efficiency that has characterised the cruise - repeated practice by Marion no doubt. We were soon called to the lobby - our wizened and shriveled porter was there with his rope and bamboo pole and Judy, our next "friendly" tour guide was there all smiles and ready to go.

The only thing between the river and the 33 million people that make up the population of Chongqing (pronounced Chongching) was the mandatory 300 vertical mountain of stairs. Our first workout of the day! But at least we weren't carrying the luggage!

It was a quick stopover in this mega city. We visited the Old House and enjoyed a tour with local guide (as opposed to our friendly guide) Christine. Again, the guides give you a detailed insight into the significance of the history of this traditional meeting place. Travellers, farmers and soldiers could all find refuge in a " house" in the city. They could take shelter, share food and borrow money to get started. Each of the village groups would have their own "house" in the city. The wooden structures have been vulnerable through time to the ravages of both fire and the Cultural Revolution. Many of the prized cornerstones of Chinese history and culture were destroyed during this time of political upheaval. But what remains are treasured tourist hooks that provide the skeletons of the stories that make up a visitors's tour. And the obligatory "sell" at the end (wallet still sealed).

Judy then took us to the train station. This was a "D" class train that reached speeds of about 200 kms per hour. We spent some time with Judy in the wait lounge talking about her baby. At four months pregnant, Judy is the first young expectant mother that we have chatted with. As a member of a minority group Judy can have two children but her concerns were around the money that would be needed to support her children. The costs of education, health and housing were looming large In her mind, Judy was very concerned about her ability to buy homes for her children if she had two boys. Apparently a son's father provides the "house" for his newly married son! It was an incredible insight into a life of "struggle", "choice" and "balance".

The train experience in China is amazing. So comfortable, so quiet, so clean and just so fast. We settled into carriage 1 seats 5A and C and enjoyed the ride. Mac watched the scenery fly by and I finished my first "Made in China" project ....@Denise...I hope Kate likes it!

In the blink of an eye we were at Chengdu. In fact it was a relaxing two hour trip. On this stretch of China we did see lots of open countryside and actually saw our first water soaked rice paddies. There were lots more farming stretches and hills covered with terraces of rice and other produce. But still...no clear blue skies anywhere.

The friendly China Holiday guide at this stop is Amy and our driver is Lucas. Our heart gave a little flutter because there were too many options on exit and when we choose the west gate...there was nobody there to meet us! As it turned out we were only in doubt for 60 seconds before we were found...there are so many entrances.at this station that Amy and Lucas had been dashing from one to another to find us.

We left the gear in the car and made our way to lunch - a spicy little number actually. And then off to visit a street market at the Ancient Street of Jinlin. Amy is vivacious and talkative - Mac say that she could talk under water - but she truly is a breath of fresh air - sort of like a pocket rocket dynamo. We loved her stories! Jinlin is one of those markets where if you can shove a stick in it they sell it. So fish, prawns, pig parts, toffee, fruit, toys ...and the list goes on ...are all for sale. Amy bought me a "sweetie". You spin the dial and whatever picture the pointer lands on the sweet maker constructs a toffee for you in that shape. I scored a butterfly and it was delicious. We finished the adventure at Starbucks for our first coffee since arriving in China.

The coffee was great but it was the 90 minute conversation with Amy about all things political which was memorable. Amy's perspective on the news of the world and the events of recent history are shaped by the access to information that she can get and the word of mouth stories she gleans from her tourists. Her explanation of a possible theory on 911 was shaded by a discussion she'd had with two Arabian women. The acceptance of government regulation and indoctrination was an eye opener - especially from the mouth of a well educated young women such as Amy.

On a much lighter note there are two ridiculous moments from the day. And perhaps they shouldn't be detailed on the blog.

The first was Mac's interaction with Christine in the morning. Christine wanted to know if Mac was Chinese and when he said "no" she wanted to know if he were sure. As he continued to explain his ethnic origins, Christine interrupted and told him that she understands he is not Chinese because he has the ugly, BIG foreign nose. Well that stopped him, in his tracks.

I laughed lots! Mac didn't find it quite as funny.

The second story is around the toileting adventure...again. Today I was without my best friend Sherweena and could not find a western toilet. How hard could that squat thing be? In fact, after my first attempt at going solo, I was thinking that I had done an okay job! Until I stood up and turned around. I think it is more about squat than bend...and I have a lot to learn. Please ask me about the details of my misguided attempts....it is seriously a funnier story than the koala pole dance @rosullivan.

I laughed lots! And Mac didn't find this so funny either.

And just to make it clear...there are NO clear days on Chengdu. The sky is always covered with cloud - blue skies are never visible - and the people never see the sun! Amy, beautiful sweet positive Amy, told us "not to worry about this" as every coin had two sides. The benefit is that Chengdu is considered the number two city in China for beautiful girls because in this city the girls are never exposed to sunburn and their skin remains the cherished and prized "white" colour associated with beauty. Too bad they die at such an early age from pollutant related respiratory problems!

A night in for us...at last. A light dinner of soup and an early night...ready for the pandas tomorrow.

Pedometer steps: 12 105
Temperature: 25 C totally clouded in!

Advertisement



16th April 2014

Sheeweena - love it. Can't wait to hear about it all. Kate's little girl will look beautiful in your jacket. Very special. You've been on the move. You'll need another holiday. Xx
17th April 2014

Congratulations & very well done Love..........Aunty Jess would be so proud of you and of course so am I.......what a wonderful student you are!!!!!!!!And I can't wait to hear the details of the 'toilet adventure'........what wonderful
fun you are having (he,he,he)..........xoxoxoxoxoxo
18th April 2014

Oh my goodness! Pole dancing and now toilet stories. I think I will have to start a list of things to ask you about as I am sure there are going to be more memorable stories to add as your adventures go on.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb