The land of the giants


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Baby takes a tumble!Baby takes a tumble!Baby takes a tumble!

Dave's favourite, probably because he was a trouble maker
After our great time in Xian, we found a really cheap flight to Chengdu. There weren't many tourists in Chengdu because of the earthquake but we really wanted to see the sights and the pandas.

We woke up early the first morning just in time to see the pandas eating at the Breeding Center. They were soooo cute! We saw 19 pandas in total (Dave counted) and the babies were adorable, eating and playing! The Breeding Center wasn't affected during the earthquake so all the pandas were doing great!
After a few hours watching our new favorite animal, they went to sleep and we went to get some food. The pandas had made us hungry. Spent the afternoon relaxing and walking around, then went to a great restaurant for dinner where I have truly found the best brownie in the world. I was in brownie heaven and even Dave and Amy had to agree.

On the second morning, we took the 2 hours drive to Leshan, the home of the biggest seated stone Buddha in the world. But before we got there, our driver accidently ran the van over an elderly woman's foot! The police said it was her fault because she hadn't looked before she crossed but our driver felt bad. We brought her to the hospital and she was going to be alright. That was a scary experience and made Dave even more wary of drivers here in China.

Anyways, we made our way to the Buddha and it was spectacular! It is 71 meters high and has huge hands and feet! We read somewhere that the Buddha's eyes opened and closed years ago during the revolution because he didn't agree with what was going on and its considered sacred! The whole area was impressive and it was well worth the trip!
We only spent two days in Chengdu but they were great! It was time to take another night train plus an 8 hour bus ride to Lijiang, a city in Northwestern Yunnan province.

Love, Sophie


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Eating is a favorite past time!Eating is a favorite past time!
Eating is a favorite past time!

Pandas spent sixteen hours a day eating, this adult weighs something like 142kilos
Shooting practiceShooting practice
Shooting practice

Dave is practicing his shooting techniques...the Chinese way!
Smile for the camera!Smile for the camera!
Smile for the camera!

Aren't they cute? They listened to the photographer very well!
The old and the newThe old and the new
The old and the new

As you can see, Starbucks is trying to fit in with the old.
Busy streetBusy street
Busy street

China is always crowded, even at night.
Old city streetOld city street
Old city street

The city wall with its pretty red lanterns.
LeshanLeshan
Leshan

The start of the park holding the biggest seated stone buddha in the world!
Tiger of the Tiger and the DragonTiger of the Tiger and the Dragon
Tiger of the Tiger and the Dragon

The myth holds that the tiger and the dragon fought and then found peace in this park!
The big BuddhaThe big Buddha
The big Buddha

The view from the top of the hill


29th June 2008

Love the Pandas!
The pandas are tooooo cute! The big buddha is also impressive. Did you see damage from the earthquake? Was the area very affected by it? Did you guys feel it in any way? Take care and thank you again for sharing the adventure! Monique :)
29th June 2008

Panda's
The Panda's look great, there were only 2 there when I went to see them. So pleased you are all enjoying everything. Love Nana

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb