Pingyao 平遥古城


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Pingyao
October 7th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started at 7:00 am this morning, so far no one ever late. The ancient city is two hours away from Taiyuen 太原, where we stayed. Admission fee for the Pingyao ancient city is 120 rmb for all different locations; the city wall, the museums, some scenic spots. I had the half price student discount for the admission. I think if you just want to go to the shopping street is free of charge.

The walled city is so big we need to take golf cart to the main area to save time. By the time we take a walk on the city wall is almost noon, bad lighting for pictures. There are so many peoples is unbelievable, may be is accessible by train. We have to stay together all the time otherwise will get lost. Our large group is very good at stay together.

There are so many cars, golf cars all over the city and golf cars drive crazy.
It is an old city but I do not see too much character in it. I like Tongli in Souzhou a lot better.

We stop by a grocery gift shop before heading back to Beijing, no pressure to buy any. There is where the local guide to say good bye. It is a 6 ½ hours drive back to Beijing and no dinner. Long sleep back, dropped off at the subway station at Chengwenmen 崇文门 where we started. Barely able to take the subway before it stop running. I head to my restaurant row near the apartment at 11:30pm. It is surprised they still are all open and the noodle house is packed. The bad part is they all smoking inside.

Overall impression of my first Chinese local ( originated in Beijing ) tour is very positive.

The tour guides, driver - they are very nice and professional, give you enough time at each location. They do not smile for the dollar sign because there is no such thing as service charge. Service charges only created for Americans to take advantage of the American’s bad habits. All business provides good services without services charge, they think services are their job and are not extra.

The food and hotel - terrible even TL standards, but this related to money and life style. People in the group seem not mind at all. When food come they just eat and no complains, not enough just buy snacks. They are not fuzzy like people in Hong Kong or American. They asked me do I get used to the food yet. I have no comments. Think about this way, you get to go where you wanted. The means and method is personal. My 5 stars traveler friends will not last for a day.

Tour members - almost all Beijingers, very well behaved, never late on the scheduled time, never flight for food, never flight for seats, never talk loud in the bus and keep garbage in the bag, never cut in line or pushing in line, when asked to stay together will stay together, never complains. Men do smoke and spitting, but not in the bus or in the restaurant.
After a month in Beijing I noticed the Beijingers do not like to speak to strangers, even co-workers. There are many families and love bird’s couples but mostly stayed with in their group and not mingling. Since I am a mystery person, people start get friendly and talking to me on the last two days. They have a hard time understand my Chinese and I have a hard
City View 1City View 1City View 1

over look down from top of the city wall
time understand their English at the beginning . They mostly speak Beijingnese not standard Mandarin.

Travel clothing-fairly standard jeans, t shirt, tennis shoes, no high heels; few men have dress shoes on and one with a suite. For a short four day trip , a pair of pants is good enough for me. When go travel is to see thing not to be seen. Surprising every one has the same pair of pant s for the four days duration. One girl even out beat me with the same top and bottom for the four days, but she is not a Beijinger. No wonder she only has a small backpack as luggage, super light traveler. I wonder if she ever change the under wear.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Main Gate 2Main Gate 2
Main Gate 2

admission ticket is required to go out the gate


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb