Latest news from Shanghai and fight with crazy woman


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 29th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After 3 VERY difficult weeks that included moving into a new (and much smaller) apartment and organizing 67 boxes of our stuff (has it happened to you that you don't know how many things you have until you have to move???), a 7 weeks old baby with a terrible jet lag, a case of mastitis with 4 days of fever and chills and a cold.... It seems that we are finally finding our way back in Shanghai.

The city seems so different now, I used to love to be in the middle of things, markets, yelling on the street, street food vendors, crazy traffic (especially bicycles) etc.... Today, when I have to go out with a stroller and a baby that hates her car seat, I hate all of the above (with the exception of the street food that I am not eating so to avoid any problems while I breastfeed Shanti) I even got into a fight (a real one) with a Chinese woman.

Shanti makes a huge impression here, with her BIG eyes and small frame, Chinese babies don't go out when they are so small so everybody has to do with her when we go out, which is every day (if not I go crazy). So last week, I was walking with a sleeping Shanti on my snugli when this f***ing woman came running and screaming "xiao bao bao" (little baby) from half a block away, she ran towards us and extended her hands to grab Shanti from my chest (I know, it sounds crazy) suddenly, I raised my arm and grab her hand and pushed it away. She yelled at me and tried again so I tried to punch her (but failed) then I walked away really fast and scared while she screamed something I could not understand.

About the funny/interesting/crazy stuff that happens in this city, I need to report the following:
-Some restaurants have started charging 1 yuan (0.13 dollars) per person as a fee for cleaning silverware...
-The latest secret trend when caring for your hair it's a recipe that includes mixing condoms with some other stuff... Ok, I didn't ask if those were new or used ones...
-The Shanghai Daily reports that 80%!o(MISSING)f the rain falling in Beijing is acid rain.
-A man attempted to blow up his bike when police caught him driving without a license. He tried to throw a lit cigarette into his gas tank to show his frustration...
-A drunk man who hopped a fence and jumped into the panda area at the Beijing Zoo said he just wanted to hug the bear... after the panda bit him, the man bit the panda back and said "I bit the fellow in the back. Its skin was quite thick. … No one ever said they would bite people. I just wanted to touch it. I was so dizzy from the beer. I don’t remember much.”
-A survey shows that 16.5 percent of Shanghai residents admit wearing pajamas in public. Another 25 percent say they sometimes wear pajamas in public. The remaining 58.5 percent are liers.
-The world’s first penis transplant, which occurred in Guangzhou, was a medical success — but the patient and his wife had trouble accepting the new family member. The penis had to be removed.
-A German art student disguised as a terracotta warrior jumps into the pit with the real terracotta warriors and fools the authorities, who take several minutes to find the “living” warrior and escort (carry) him out. (http://english.people.com.cn/200609/17/eng20060917_303701.html)


Those are the latest weird news from this city... Will keep you posted!



Advertisement



29th September 2006

Welcome back!
OMG, he lost some hair.
2nd October 2006

desde Puerto Rico
Hola! Me encanta leer su Blog. Yo estoy pensando estudiar en Japon o China mis estudios graduados prontamente :-) Como es que llegaron a China y por que? Nunca he visto eso en sus mensajes. Bueno, mucha suerte a ustedes y la nueva bebe!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb