Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 16th 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Men BalancingMen BalancingMen Balancing

From "http://www.destination360.com/asia/china/shanghai-acrobatics-troupe"

Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe


After a full day of touring Shanghai, my tour group attended a performance by the Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe on Gonghexin Road. These men and women were incredible with their strength, flexibility, and gracefulness.

Since it's hard to explain the many different stunts they did, I have only included some pictures in this post.

Here's what Destination360 has to say about the troupe:
Though the Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe has been around for years, they started playing their most famous shows in September of 1999, as the main event in the newly constructed Shanghai Circus World. The new building would be used primarily for shows by the famous troupe, who had grown tired of travelling around the world without a home theater to call their own. Found on Gonghexin Road in the northern section of town, their performances were immediately hailed for their breathtaking stunts, and within a few weeks the Circus World was immediately elevated to one of the most popular attractions in Shanghai. The troupe succeeded in their mission to bring back the grandeur and pageantry of the circus, most notably in their trademark performance called "Oriental Stories". From then on it was immediately billed as the number one circus on the continent. And with good reason - various performers affiliated with the Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe were given special recognition after their signature trick, known as the Flying Trapeze, won the gold medal in the National Acrobatics Contest. This also cemented their status as one of the growing Shanghai tourist attractions, as shows in the giant arena sold out in mere minutes - clearly the Shanghai Circus World was not built in vain.

The Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe have dedicated themselves to pushing the boundaries of acrobatic technique - their stated goal was to develop an entirely new atmosphere surrounding their shows, to introduce a new way of looking at theater to the new markets and demographics its new home would bring in. There was little argument that the troupe had become one of the major attractions in Shanghai when it was invited into the Shanghai Culture, Broadcast, Film and TV Group - the premier media group in all of China. Now, with even more developing outlets for their talent and art, the Shanghai Acrobatics Troupe continue towards a new realm of popularity.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb