School sports day!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 25th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have had another busy one this week (as usual) and it looks like the last 5 weeks of term are just going to get even busier! I know it is hard for those of you back home to understand this as you are currently on half term and have a bit longer, but we cannot wait until the end of term! Luckily we have Thursday and Friday off this week as it is the Dragon Boat Festival on Thursday...we are hoping to go with some friends to see teams from all over the world competing for this...watch this space!

School last week was gearing up for our Sports Day, or rather I should say, the SUIS Olympics which was on Saturday. It was a fantastic day and everyone really enjoyed it. For the first time in our school's rather brief history, the house system was introduced and we were part of the green team, and Sophie was the yellow team. Sadly, Ian had to work but William was lucky enough to be an honorary member of the greens for the day. The morning was jam packed with events....sprint, hurdles, hoop shoot, long jump, javelin (polystrene version!) and shotput. By 11.30am we were all thoroughly exhausted! There was a brief awards ceremony before a well needed lunch break. After lunch, we were scheduled to have an obstacle course and relay but it started to rain just before we were due to start back again. To be fair, this was probably a lucky thing, as we relocated to the gym where awards were handed out and this took forever. There would never have been time for any more activities and everyone managed to go home by 2pm - hurray! The best bit was the announcement of the winning team.....YAY GO GREENS!!!! Yes, our green team won and I was hoarse from cheering them on. I am sure the poor Grade 1's and 2's wondered who on earth this mad woman was cheering them on....the younger ones did the Tug of War and Welly Boot throwing which was such fun!

After Sports Day, Sophie went home with a friend of hers for a sleepover and I took William to the birthday party of his betrothed! It was so lovely to see her looking so cute and they played some fun games and had the most delicious chocolate cake ever! As we were leaving, William went and gave Kiwa such a lovely hug and all the adults were cooing as they paused for a photo shoot! Luckily, Kiwa's mum told me that she is as enamoured with William as he is with her - phew, not problems with unrequited love as yet! Her mum was marvelling at what language they communicate in as Kiwa only speaks Japanese and not much Chinese. William confirmed to me that they just play....the language of love is a wonderful thing!

Yesterday was a quiet day as Sophie was still at her friend's house, so the 3 of us went apartment viewing again...yes the saga continues....and then for lunch with some friends and bumped into some more friends...it really never ceases to amaze us just how small the expat community is here. We went to collect Sophie from her friend's house and ended up staying all afternoon chatting. Luckily, she has a little brother the same age as William and they had a great time setting up train tracks! We eventually crashed at home last night and are very much looking forward to the prospect of a short week....long live bank holidays!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb