Cool Sunday


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 28th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Firstly, we have to tell you all that we have finally managed to get onto Skype! Ian, unfortunately, has not been well today so stayed at home this afternoon while me and the children went out. When we got back, Skype was done and we are now awaiting our first call from anyone who fancies it! Our username is 'TBs_in_China' and it is registered to my email address (jothurston@hotmail.co.uk). Anyone who has Skype, please add us to your accounts and we can try and be in contact. Clearly, there are certain times of day which are better...generally we online between about 7-10pm each night, which is 12-3pm UK time.

Anyway, while Ian was sorting Skype out and resting at home, we went out to have haircuts for both of the children (pics attached) and then we went to the Park. Seeing as the weather has now changed, the breeze was quite cool and as we arrived at the Park it was quite late, around 5pm, and starting to become chilly. This was my first outing on my own without Ian and it didn't go too well. The taxi driver took us to the wrong Metro station at first, then it took much longer to get to the Park than I thought, and then we took the wrong exit out of the Metro station when we got there. This meant we were wandering the streets not having a clue where we were going! Interestingly, when we finally did find the right entrance, Sophie had correctly identified the correct exit from the station but I hadn't listened to her. Lesson of the day, when in Shanghai, listen to the 6 year old! Anyway, we bought helium balloons at the park entrance and then spent about 20 mins in the Park before we headed back to have pizza with Ian at home.

I have to rewind a little for today's whole picture, as we went to a Soccer Club for Wiliam this morning. We have been doing extensive research about clubs for both the children over the past week and have finally come up with football for William. We went and bought him proper boots and shin pads this week and he was so excited. We went to the Shanghai American School which was about 20 mins in a taxi from here, further out of town past the Hongqiao Airport. The drive itself was an experience, as we left town we went through a very undeveloped area, then came across a mini town eventually. Some of the most prestigious compunds and sports clubs are here as we found out, and the school was just something else. The whole time we were there I couldn't get over the facilities and the size of the school. I took some photos which I have hopefully attached.

Soccer itself was great, William had a fantastic time. As part of joining, he got given a new kit, which was PSV. His age group has 2 different teams so that when they play a game they are immediately 2 teams.There were about 15 kids and they spent time kicking to each other and aiming on goal and then playing a little game at the end of the hour. He loved it and can't wait til the next time....this will be 2 weeks' time as there is a holiday next week.

We are still on the search for a suitable club for Sophie, art and drama are in the pipeline, but these things are not simple! She is doing swimming weekly at school and PE 2 other times per week also. Swimming does finish for winter in about mid-November, but all local swimming clubs are full so we will have to wait until after xmas most likely to be able to get them into those. Soccer also finishes in Dec, but then Basketball starts for the winter, so we will see about that. There is a possibility of indoor soccer but it is very busy, so we will have to wait and see. It is all very hectic and exciting here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb