School on a sunday and dinner with someone who knows


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
August 24th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is going to be a short entry as we are really tired tonight and I have a heavy few days ahead. I had to go to work for a full staff meeting this morning, then we all got together in Grade (year) groups. This was really good as I met the other teachers and saw my classroom. They were all really friendly and helpful and I think we will get on really well. The Grade Co-ordinator has a 5 year old daughter who is at William's Kindergarten so it was good to hear how fantastic she has found this.

I finished at 2.30pm and met Ian and the kids and found out that all I had missed on a sunday morning in Shanghai was 2 trips to open a bank account and a trip to the supermarket!, where we all went to the hospital together. Sophie got her second round of IV antibiotics which was as traumatic as yesterday, and she has to go again tomorrow but then has an appointment on Tuesday afternoon to assess how she is doing and decide if she needs more treatment.

This evening, we met Amanda, a girl from Halifax who is a friend of a friend. She came round to ours and we went out for dinner at the restaurant next to our apartment complex which we have been dying to try out but have been linguistically incapable. Amanda speaks fluent Chinese and ordered us the most amazing dinner. As you can see from the pics, there is a hotpot in the middle of the table and you order raw meat which you then cook in a stock type thing which is boiling in front of you. We all really enjoyed it and it was great to pick Amanda's brains about life here.

So we are just watching the end of the Olympic Closing Ceremony and then we are off to bed. I have some heavy IB training over the next few days, and I have a school dinner thing tomorrow evening, and Ian has the kids to control and hospital appointments to keep!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb