Shaking it in Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 6th 2005
Published: June 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Unlike my travels through Japan where I spent a few days in each town and moved at a slow pace, this tour has us moving at a break neck pace. I am a bit tired so this will be short.

We arrived in Shanghai early and we were immediatly shuttled to town. The ride from the airport to downtown provided us a spectacular view of the stunning skyscrapers of Shanghai. After some food and a quick tour of the old city (which has become a tourist trap), we strolled along the Bund (the river). Once again the weather was perfect as the sun shone brightly and a sweet breeze kept us cool. A 1 hour stop at the Shanghai museum where once again I befriended some small children (see photo). I also came across a man sleeping on a bench and could not pass up the photo opp.

For dinner, we headed back to the Bund area and were greeted with the bright lights of Nanjing road. Imagine a combination of Times Square and Vegas. The road is closed to cars thus packed with people walking and of course tons of hustlers hawking fake rolexs and girl bars.

The next day we embared to Shuzou (2 hour car ride) to see the famous gardens. About 15 minutes from Shuzou, our van overheats (i hope it was not caused by me goading the driver to go faster). So, stranded on the highway, joe and our guide finally wave down another van after numerous attemps (and not before a cop comes to yell at me for standing in the middle of the higway). Once again, catastrophe avoided, we spent the next few hours enjoying the Master of Nets garden and the Humble Administrator's garden. Both a welcome site after spending almost and hour on the side of the highway.

We say goodbye to Shanghai with smiles and head off to our quick flight to Huang Shan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Statue in the MuseumStatue in the Museum
Statue in the Museum

Polychrome glazed pottery statue of heavenly guardian...from the Tang Dynasty of 618 -907 AD.
Amazing ArchitureAmazing Architure
Amazing Architure

Buildings like this pepper the skyline of this metropolis
Wild night on Nanjing RoadWild night on Nanjing Road
Wild night on Nanjing Road

This avenue of Shanghai is a combination of Vegas and Times Square. Street hawkers continue to try and sell you fake Rolex's and men/women try and sell you to go to a lady's bar.
I try and butter up our Dinner hostI try and butter up our Dinner host
I try and butter up our Dinner host

I direct joe and I to a restaurant off the main street. It turns out to be fantastic spicy food.
Food in chinaFood in china
Food in china

saw this sign for the soup at breakfast and had to take a picture of it.
Our van breaks down on the highwayOur van breaks down on the highway
Our van breaks down on the highway

due to overheating after i ask the driver to go faster, we wait on the side of the road.
Waiving down helpWaiving down help
Waiving down help

Joe and josh try and get a bus/van to stop and drive us the remaining 15 mintues to shuzou. right after this photo, we got a ride and all was back on track.
Famous gardens of SuzhouFamous gardens of Suzhou
Famous gardens of Suzhou

this was taken at the Master of Nets garden
Another garden in SuzhouAnother garden in Suzhou
Another garden in Suzhou

this lucious shot was taken at the Humble Administrator's garden in Suzhou
In the deepIn the deep
In the deep

this worker at the garden tries to clean the ponds
Relaxing in the Shanghai AirportRelaxing in the Shanghai Airport
Relaxing in the Shanghai Airport

After a day of running around, joe and I enjoy the message chairs at the airport


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb