Splendours of China - gone east


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Pudong
April 11th 2015
Published: April 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Blog of our trip to China - Paul and Keith from Yorkshire, England
A quest for knowledge and enlightenment.

Day One - Friday 10th April 2015

Manchester to London Heathrow - British Airways
Transfer T3-T5 Heathrow Express
London Heathrow - Shanghai - Virgin Atlantic

Lift off 1515 LHW but as travelling economy = no sleep.

Day Two - Saturday 11th April 2015

Arrive Shanghai a tad jaded 0915 ( 7 hours ahead of UK time ) met by tour guide and transferred to our hotel by coach . We are part of group of 16 - first impressions - well let's hope that's what they are ?
During the hour plus transfer our guide introduced himself as Chris a very personable and fluent English speaker. I find it interesting that the chinese are happy to adopt a western name to make the client's experience easier. Would this happen in the uk ? I think not.
Heavy traffic and a first view of China - impressive. Shanghai is China's financial capital and looks the part.
Hotel - Holiday Inn comfortable, clean, efficient.
After a short sleep a visit to the 21st floor Health Spa for a revitalising sauna,swim, jacuzzi.
At 1700 we are collected by a friend,Scott who is living here for a year working for a German company. He's loving the experience and is keen to show us the town. Trip downtown on the subway cheap ( £0.30 ) clean and very efficient. Busy busy but 'Keep calm and carry on' seems to be the way. Once back above ground the same seems to apply as we make our way down one of the city's major shopping streets to the old colonial waterfront - The Bund. Its dusk and the lights are starting to come on on both sides of the river. The contrast could not be more stark on the Bund the old Victorian style buildings and across the water modern towers and skyscrapers of the financial district all lit up in spectacular fashion - wow. Across the river by ferry ( £0.20 ) and a close look at a symbol of Shanghai - the Pearl TV tower ? busmans holiday. Then on to a bar with a view - The Grand Hyatt's 'Cloud 9' sky bar. Its here Scott's local knowledge kicks in as we enjoy a welcome beer on the 87th floor of the Jin Mao tower. All this touristing has worked up an appetite so we make our way to the Paulaner Brauhaus German bar and restaurant by the river where we struggle to get a table so eat at the bar. Interesting to see that German food and wine is popular here its very busy and the live cover band make good background music. Although hungry the large portion of wurst, sauerkraut and sautéed potatoes beats both Keith and I.
We catch the ferry back across to the Bund just as the lights go off at 10 pm and head back to the hotel by taxi magically ordered up by Scott using an app on his phone.
Great night out - thanks Scott you sir are a gentleman ! I owe you one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



12th April 2015

Have a great time!
Paul, Keith, I hope you have a great time. Perhaps when you are back, we can go out for a foreign meal of some persuasion...?! Keith, if you see some stones out of place on the Great Wall of China, please don't try to lift them back into position!
12th April 2015

Very Envious
What an amazing trip. China is one of the places I have always wanted to visit. It is such a great experience to travel somewhere where lifestyles and culture are so very different. Have a great time and keep blogging.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb