Shanghai- The Bund and Pudong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Pudong
May 13th 2014
Published: May 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

13.5.14:



After breakfast headed off to walk the Bund, the riverside ( HUANGPU RIVER) walkway on the City side looks across to the reclaimed land of the Pudong financial district. Some very striking and distinctive architecture. The district is growing at a rapid rate and rivals the city scape of the Central district of Hong Kong with its imposing towers.

Shanghai is situated in the Yangtze R delta. Many large rice barge style boats plied the river transporting huge timber logs, coal and containers.

It appears that afternoon/ evening markets are popular. All variety of meat, seafood and vegetable. No flies. Huge cucumber style veg, 3 feet long x 1.5 wide. Suspect flavour would be very bland, mostly fibrous. Also huge live toads encased in net bags are popular. Will need to be alert to what I eat!

Very few westerners sited.

Put bike together this afternoon. No breakages thankfully. Seems ok, but will have the mechanic check it over before departure.

Walked the Bund this evening. Many buildings displayed spectacular light shows on their facades attracting large crowds. Steve and I were often asked to pose with locals in photos against the backdrop of the light show. We think our height and baldness/ blonde hair was the attraction, as standing next to the Chinese we towered over them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.395s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb