Reception Dinner


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Fengxian » Nanqiao
May 13th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Upon arriving at our apartment, all three of us could have gone straight to bed, but there was a reception dinner planned - and since we were the guests of honor, we kind of had to be there! The Management Team for Ace Mold was there as well as the General Manager’s family.
The restaurant we went to was 100% Chinese, not even an English name I can write! We started in a big room where they had all of the available dishes made up for you to look at, and the waitress followed you around and wrote down what you wanted. I was sooooo glad to have someone helping me figure out what Leah and I could and couldn’t have! In the picture, the main courses were on the table (only one side shows) the appetizers were behind glass on the wall at the back of the photo, and then you can’t see, but the side parallel to the table was filled with tanks of fresh seafood. Horton, the General Manger ordered all of the food. Then we were taken to a private room upstairs. The table was huge - I think there were 18 of us- and there was a big lazy susan in the center.
The food was brought out and served family style from the center of the table. There was nothing too awful looking, and what I ate was good. Leah and I had watermelon juice with our meals. When everyone was done, I couldn’t believe how much food was left and couldn’t help but wonder if they just threw it all out or what????? There was a couch in the room and Leah ended up sitting on it and falling asleep. Leah and I had a very good dessert that was little balls made from some kind of rice and in a sauce. Very good, supposedly it takes a few days to make it.
They went around the table and had everyone introduce themselves, they all spoke at least a little English.
Most of the Chinese who deal with foreigners pick an English name for themselves and one man introduced himself as King Kong!


Advertisement



13th May 2009

Thanks for posting, I am really enjoying visiting China through your eyes. It sure does look like a culture shock but a very hospitable place.
19th May 2009

They are very hospitable
I'm sure not all Chinese would be as welcoming, but the ones we have contact with are treating us like royalty.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb