Day 2 - Qufu - The home of Confucius


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Tai'an
April 1st 2012
Published: April 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a hearty breakfast of Wifi and Cappucino, we set off for a traffic free, beautiful sunny day, 430km drive to the Confucius Temple in Qufu. I'll not go into a history lesson on Confucius because, to be honest, I didn't listen to Kevin, our guide for the day. Let's just say he (Kong Zi) seemed a pretty smart fellow 2,500 years ago and still commands a huge following both here and abroad. Lunch was slightly wierd, with dubious looking Cao Li suddenly producing a packet of Oreo cookies just as we were sitting down to eat. Then, going round the table passing cookies one by one, we found ourselves befuddled as to why on earth she would be insisting we eat an Orea cookie before a beautiful Qufu lunch. Sinclair, in a bid never to offend, accepted the cookie and went on to chow down. For some reason we couldn't figure out why Cao Li was in fits of hysterics until we saw Sinny's face.

Rewind to earlier that morning, Cao Li spent time in the bathroom carefully unpacking the Oreo's and replacing the cream with toothpaste ! It was, afterall, April Fool's !

After visiting the hometown of Confucius and his grave, we headed off for the short 80km drive to Tai'an where we had a dinner of ginseng chicken head, followed by an enlightening round of drinks at Sinny's first karaoke in Asia.

Obviously, not much time to write witty and fluid prose whilst on the road. I can refine the blog in the familiar cuddle of my armchair at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



3rd April 2012

Oreo's
What a great April Fool's prank!

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb