An island city with beer&sea food


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Qingdao
February 16th 2014
Published: February 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Introduction

Lying on the south coast of the Shandong Peninsula, Qingdao is a city of picturesque red-tiled roofs nestled between green hills and blue sea. The mild climate, the bathing beach, and Mount Laoshan make Qingdao a popular health and holiday resort, particularly in summer when visitors come here in droves for sightseeing and escaping the heat.Qingdao is also an industrial city and a major foreign trade port. Its mineral water, wine, and excellent Tsingtao Beer are world-famous. Among the local arts and crafts, shell carvings are especially popular with tourists.

Geographic Location and Natural Environment

Qingdao is located at the southern tip of the Shandong Peninsula (35'35' ~ 37'09'N, 119'30'~ 121'00'E). It is characterized by a unique blend of sea and mountains and a pleasant climate. Qingdao has a total coastline (including its islands) of 870 kilometers, 730 kilometers of which are continental coastline, accounting for one fourth of the total length in Shandong Province. There are numerous capes and coves along the zigzag coastline.Qingdao has seven urban districts and five county-level cities under its jurisdiction with a total area of 10,654 square kilometers and a population of 7,311,200. The urban area measures 1,102 square kilometers and urban residents total 2,584,000.Qingdao lies in the North Temperate Zone and has the typical temperate monsoon climate. Under the direct influence of the southeastern monsoon and the sea currents and tides, the city proper features marked marine climate,humid air, mild temperature and clear-cut seasons. In spring, the weather becomes warmer slowly, usually one month later than the inland areas. It is humid and rainy in summer, but is free from fiercely hot days, while cool and dry in autumn. Winter here is long and usually windy but not unbearably cold.

About Tourism

Zhanqiao Pier, built in 1891, is the symbol of Qingdao. After several restorations, from being a simple military harbor, it is now open to tourists. The pier is 440 meters long. There is an octagonal pagoda of distinctive Chinese style, called “ Huilan Pagoda”, at the end of the pier. From the top, tourists can fully view the Maganificent Sea. Along the shore is the beautiful Pier Park, which is a pleasant and quiet place for tourists to rest or enjoy the scenery of Little Qingdao Island and its white tower.

May 4th Square is named to honor the May 4th Movement which took place in 1919. Consisting of two squares and a park, the area is decorated with statues and fountains and surrounded by pine trees, meadows, and flowers. It has become the symbol of modern Qingdao.

The Laoshan Scenic Area was one of China’s first major scenic resorts to receive the approval of the State Council. It holds an important position in Qingdao’s tourism industry. The acceleration of its natural landscape development and improved access to its cultural facilities is an important component of the city’s Olympic endeavors. Major tourist spots include the Laoshan Kangcheng Academy, the Jufeng Scenic Area and Nine Waters& Eighteen Pools.

Catholic Church is located on the high hillock of north Zhejiang Road, south area of Qingdao city. It started construction in 1932 and finished in 1934.Covering an area of 2,470 square meters, Catholic Church is the largest building of Gothicstyle in Qingdao. The hall inside can hold 1000 people for service.The main construction length is 60 meters. At that time, the double steeples of the church had been the highest level of the city. It‘s original name was "Saint Michael's Church". Its structure was from the union of reinforced concrete and the granite. There is a clock tower on the inner of both sides of the front door. The tower height is 56 meters set with an upright 4.5 meters high giant cross and 4 bells hung in the bell tower. The March buildings are in Roman architecture, the height of the hall is 18 meters. It can accommodate over one thousand people. The rear area is equipped with two big altars; there are two small altars symmetrically under the left and right side. It matches with the mural saint paintings above, showing the unique pattern and artistic style.

Challenges for tourism development

1.Government in Qingdao is lack of long-term planning.2.Low barriers to entry in Qingdao tourism industry.3.The government focus on the speed of development, ignored the protection of the environment.4.The lack of strict management for tourism commodity,causing market confusion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb