Still Walking in Jinan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Ji'Nan
October 11th 2012
Published: October 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Autumn is just about hereAutumn is just about hereAutumn is just about here

Yellow leaves all about to fall
Still walking in Jinan

I have only a half day teaching on Thursday, quick canteen lunch and I got back to the campus around 2pm.



My little expat treat today was crackers with REAL cheese and tomatoes and plunger coffee.



More walking today, between the huge amounts of veges I am eating and all the walking I should be getting thin!!



Today I headed off to find Daming Lake. So turn left off Lishan Lu onto Huayuan Lu and the veer left onto Dongguan Lu.

This area is again middle of the road China, whole avenues of food stalls and pavement shops, pet vendors with squirrels, guinea pigs, rabbits, cats and dogs in cages and a huge cage of chirping crickets in one area.

There was also a massive indoors Paddy Market type of place selling what looked like everything and anything, bike shops, people out and about, busy busy life.



Daming Lake appeared in the distance with a canal the first sign of water.

Beautiful willow trees line the canal, the willow is the tree symbol of Jinan and the lotus is
Rabbits and guinea pigsRabbits and guinea pigsRabbits and guinea pigs

Really hope these are pets!
the flower symbol.



I only popped into the lake area for a quick look, you need a day to do this justice, there are numerous areas, pavilions, places to look at and activities to see.

I found men playing cards in one area, table tennis games in another (I may just join them), children playing with sand, families walking, exercising and enjoying.



Following the canal east for some time I really enjoyed the serenity of the pretty walk ways and the water views. Mobile hairdressers had set up their trade along the banks, fishermen were trying their luck, people were swimming in one area, more cards, board games, tai chi, one lady washing her hair, other households drawing water, beautifully laid out, so well maintained and presented. It was not busy or crowded in any way.



Quite a few of the older people are so willing to try out their English and give me a smile as I walk by and a quick hello. I’ve seen so few expat females, some in Carrefour, a very ginger haired girl in McD speaking great Mandarin with some locals, and a couple in
CricketsCricketsCrickets

Crickets as big as your thumb were in this display, chirping away. These are pets
the expat shops.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Caged squirrelCaged squirrel
Caged squirrel

Pets! I hope!
Are these squirrels?Are these squirrels?
Are these squirrels?

About the size of a very small guinea pig.
Food on the streetsFood on the streets
Food on the streets

The Shandong province has a love of bread, steamed bread bun with meals, cake and bread products baked in mobile ovens and these displays. Wonder if this is the German influence in this region?
The canal near Daming LakeThe canal near Daming Lake
The canal near Daming Lake

Lined with Willows which are the national tree of the Shandong province
Daming LakeDaming Lake
Daming Lake

Just a peek from near the entrance near the canal
Sand playSand play
Sand play

This area had a simulated beach area, enjoyed by families in the warm afternoon
Table tennis areaTable tennis area
Table tennis area

Wonder how you join them, i have brought my bat over
The edgeThe edge
The edge

Gardens are lush and well looked after
Hair cut anyoneHair cut anyone
Hair cut anyone

Set up against the side of the canal, most people seem to dye their hair, men and women, you see a definite grey regrowth happening with a lot of them
GatheringsGatherings
Gatherings

The apartments people live in are crowded so to meet friends you gather in the outdoors. Card games eagerly contested, board games are all held in the open, everyone brings their little stool along.
Trees in Jinan look like this.Trees in Jinan look like this.
Trees in Jinan look like this.

Many trees large and small have these elaborate props to keep them upright?
Swimming areaSwimming area
Swimming area

Some hardy souls were swimming in this deeper calm area, male and female, with clothed guards at the ready? Ready for a rescue? Think not as they were fully clothed.


11th October 2012

German influences? of course!
\" The Shandong province has a love of bread, steamed bread bun with meals, cake and bread products baked in mobile ovens and these displays. Wonder if this is the German influence in this region?\" --- Shangdong province, actually the entire Northern China, grows wheat, for errrr… 2,500 years to be conservative, being one of the earliest people growing wheat on the planet earth for that matter. And it happens that there are only 1 or 2 ways to make food out of wheat, namely baked or steamed bread, unless you reckon that the Chinese, being unoriginal as they are, must have “deep fired” wheat of course. Yes? If I may stretch your imagination, or common sense, a little bit further with permission, dare I say that it is logical and fair to conclude that when Confucius (a Shangdong native as you might not be aware) and his pals had dinners in somewhere 300 B.C., they ate wheat-based food (aka, baked and/or steam bread), since it was/is the only stable food that the region’s climate allows them to produce, which were mainly baked or steamed, am I correct? Now, unless you have sufficient evidences or some über 6th sense to indicate that Rudolfs and Hermans have been hanging out with and thereby profoundly influenced Wangs and Kongs somehow 2,500 years ago in pre-dynastic China, dare I reckon that narcissistic sense of humour of yours is perhaps not the best you are trying to offer? Oh wait a minute, you just said eels, snakes while insinuating caged squirrels for lunch? To avoid obvious and dispicable double-standard, those MUST be the French influence in the region, let's be honest once shall we?
12th October 2012

Interesting comment, thank you for the history lesson.Was not aware bread was such an important product in Chinese history.
11th October 2012

Jinan
No, we haven't visited Jinan. Maybe next year - the parks do look very pretty. Take care...

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb