Wandering the streets of Xian


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi
August 31st 2014
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 34.2602, 108.951

We had a lazy start to our day, but managed to get going around 9am. We found a little cafe for breakfast and then headed out to explore the Muslim Quarter. It was fun to meander through the busy streets and see people selling fruit, food, trinkets etc. The fresh baking looked delicious. We saw people barbequeing all sorts of things on sticks. Many people were roasting walnuts as walnuts are very popular here. Nobody bothered us as we walked thru and enjoyed the sights and sounds.
China is a very loud country. The people speak loud and it is quite a harsh language to listen too.
We passed by the Bell Tower and the Drum Tower on our way to the city wall. We viewed the wall from below but in the afternoon returned to go up on it. The Xian city wall was built in the 1400's and it encircles the city centre. It is 40 feet high, 40 feet wide and 14 K long. It is the oldest and best preserved Chinese city wall. We enjoyed our walk along the top of the wall. It was much quieter than down at street level. After all our walking today we decided on dinner at our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



31st August 2014

Well done, excited to read more...
9th September 2014

Bull testicles?
25th September 2014

We remember going to the city wall in Xian!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb