China with my Xiong di...How it all began


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
April 1st 2017
Published: March 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

China with my Xiong di...How it all began. I have two younger brothers and they are both tall. One was born in Australia of my parents and the other was not. This is the story of my Chinese younger brother...my Xiong di. How a chance meeting led to a relationship that has endured for over 10 years...brothers by name and deeds. This is our story...and 'tis quite a ride. ****** It was Janu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





31st March 2017

China
Really stunning place Dave, China is great in all ways and I am happy to read a bit of history too in your blog.
1st April 2017

China
When one travels in China, Marcos, it is impossible not to be swept up by the history of this enduring civilisation. The more one travels the more one sees. I am blown away by visiting sites from 5,000 years ago to the present day. The next blogs will expose this fascination.
1st April 2017

When we were in Xian, we never heard of Han Jing Di...
but your story is fascinating. We await with baited breath your story about finally visiting Maiji Shan with your brother by another mother.
1st April 2017

When we were in Xian, we never heard of Han Jing Di...
When we were there "NO TOURS" Bob. The photos are just a taste of this extraordinary site. I have waited years to tell the tales of the travels with my Xiong di and am delighted to now do so. Are we venturing into Gansu Provence to areas known to your parents? We will see!
2nd April 2017

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart"
And Confucius was so right! The two hearts found each other in a true friendship. Is this what you call 'human bondage'? Only travel can bring people together so close, so eternal. Wonderful, Dave!
2nd April 2017

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart"
Wise words, Tab. Do I sense you expounding the Tao? This blog is how it began. How we became brothers is even more profound. I hope you join my Xiong di and I for the ride.
2nd April 2017

Gansu province that my parents knew...
the capital of Lanzhou, but when it was just mud huts! Lintao, a Han village where my Dad lived before marriage. Xiahe and the Labrang Monastery where they were married. And Minxian where they lived for five months before evacuating as the Red Army advanced. I can't find Maiji Shan on the map so don't know how close you will be to where they were other than Lanzhou. Have a great trip!
2nd April 2017

Gansu Province that my parents knew...
Thanks Bob. No clues.where we went..you'll have to wait and see!
4th April 2017
Han Yangling

Treasures of China
I also tried to find a few of the lesser known tombs when I was in Xian. But I gave up much sooner than you did so I never got to see them. The archaeological treasures you can find in China are incredible. I have seen some amazing things and I know there is much more around. What i keep wondering is how much is still hidden underground that nobody knows about? I think there is plenty... /Ake
4th April 2017
Han Yangling

Treasures of China
Hi Ake. The tomb of Han Jing Di or Yangling as it is known you can tell from the pics is incredible. To be able to see the Han warriors and animals in formation in situ in loess earth through glass by walking over or along the sides of the excavations rates is the best displayed tomb I have been in. The above ground museum had excavated animals and warriors on horseback etc like the pic you display. I only showed one of those. The coming blogs highlight your thoughts...there are zillions of amazing treasures in China we don't hear about.
6th April 2017

On our list
We keep thinking we will make it to China but other locations keep popping up. Love the history.... so much going on in China. You always weave wonderful stories of the people you meet along the way. The two of you have a propensity for finding locations off the beaten path. Thanks for taking us along on the adventure.
6th April 2017

On our list
The toughest question I am ever asked MJ is where to go on a visit to China. Why? They not only have the largest population in the World but in my opinion the most to see. Just choose a destination and go there. The adventure of discovery will then open up for you. I wonder if Yangling now has tours, or whether there is so much else to see it is only for those who read about it in National Geographic. China can be like that and why we use David Hoo tours i.e. self guided tours!
6th May 2017

History lesson with locals
Thank you for taking us beyond the well known Terracotta Warriors, loved the story and history of Han Yangling. Funny how many people we meet just pass on by, but others are meant to stay in our lives.
6th May 2017

History lesson with locals
Great you checked in Jo. Han Yangling is one of our favourite sights in China...but not well known. To think it led to my Xiong li makes it a special place for us indeed.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb