Day 12 - Xi'an 2,200 year old Terracotta Warriors


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
April 11th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Happy to see the team recovered from yesterday's trek up Huashan. We left the hotel at 9:30am to drive the short 40km to the Terracotta museum. I'll not go into history lessons here but let's just say that aside from the Great Pyramids, this has to rank as the greatest tomb for a single person, Emperor Qin Shihuang, ever discovered. Discovered by a farmer in 1974, this army took 720,000 artisans 38 years to build. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your point of view, the general public can't get up close and personal with each distinct figure, so it was hard to capture in photograph the incredible detailing. Amazing though that so far, about 1,900 warriors have been unearthed, and each one was models after a real person.

Unfortunately we are all saddened to hear that our dear Stel will be leaving for Shanghai tomorrow morning as she needs to get back to the U.K. to resume her course. We are gonna hit the town tonight and leave the cars behind. Hopefully she get's totally wasted and misses her plane !

Anyways, we had a blast, and she covered 3,200km of China. We are now conceptualizing our next trip, hopefully next year. "The Great Silk Road Off-Road Bike Trip" !


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb