You know you live in China when...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

...hocking and spitting onto the street seems the best way to get rid of the dust in your throat, and it doesn't seem gross anymore.

...you start referring to the pollution as 'the dust bubble'. It comes from the Gobi, you know. Honestly. That's what everyone says.

...you only drink beer from one litre bottles at 15 pence a go.

...you shout at waitresses if they try and charge you 20 pence for the aforementioned litre bottles of beer.

...shouting "fuyuanr" at waitresses is no longer rude, but the only way to get any sort of attention in a restaurant.

...you know all 42 tones for 'ah', and use them instead of real words in conversations. And still get what you asked for/ordered/the information you requested.

...lime green, orange and magenta are the BEST colours for clothing, especially when all worn together.

...you get jealous of the girl wearing pink and blue stripey tights, a black and white polka dot skirt, and a lumberjack shirt. Because she has astounding fashion sense.

...paying five quid for a tshirt is a ripoff.

...you no longer realise that some people pay for software.

...the best thing to do with sunflower seed shells is to spit them on the floor of the restaurant, bar...anywhere really.

...walking across the street, against the light, in and out of traffic is a piece of cake. While on the phone. And eating.

...your washing machine looks like it was made by Fisher Price.

...you get excited about a new dishwashing brush and tell all your friends about it. They also get excited and want to know about it.

...all white people look the same.

...you refer to other foreigners as 'laowei' (slightly abusive name that is used for anyone not Chinese).

...the water from the kitchen tap runs brown, and you just turn it off and wait.

...there's no hot water tap in the kitchen. And heaving buckets that you filled using the showerhead in the bathroom into the kitchen to do the washing-up is no longer abnormal or a pain.

...Pizza Hut and MacDonalds are now places you eat only when it's a really special occasion.

...you eat three regular meals a day: lunch, dinner and night snacks.

...when you go to the toilet you start bringing your own toilet paper.

...you can pick up any type of food using just your chopsticks... even peanuts. And hard-boiled, peeled quail eggs from a bot of hot, spicy water.

...you no longer wait your turn in a queue, but push to the front with everyone else.

...it becomes exciting to see if you can get on the lift before anyone gets off.

...you are not surprised when three men with a ladder show up to check the water meter.

...you have learnt how to detect someone is in a hurry behind you, and now have the ability to not only walk very slowly but also grow eyes in the back of your head, so when they start to overtake on the right hand side, you automatically cut in and walk very slowly directly in front of them. For hours sometimes.

...no car is complete without a tissue box on the rear shelf and a feather duster in the trunk.

...you ask fellow foreigners the all-important question "How long have you been here?" in order to be able to properly categorize them into 'newbies', 'transients', or 'people who may know what they're talking about'.

...you can't open your front door because of the piles of shoes in front of it.

...drilling on the walls in the small hours of the morning is considered acceptable behavior.

...being 5'5'' seems really, really tall.

Advertisement



15th June 2007

And for evrything else theres mastercard! sounds like you've gone native erin!!!
29th September 2007

Your writing
The entry "you know why you are in China when" is simply pretensious, arrogant, unfunny and totally patronizing to other foreigners who have lived here for several years too. I myself have been here with my wife for over 10 years, but would not be so pathetic as to find myself amusing by writing such banal tripe as you. Clearly you must be teaching English in some third rate university and think you are som great traveler. You dog looks like shit too.
10th October 2007

Oh, the joy...
What a lovely man! I hope we can meet up for a beer sometime. And he calls me pathetic. Who sends vile messages to a complete stranger? Seriously, who does that??

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb