Dalian - September


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dalian » Dalian
October 6th 2010
Published: October 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip Route


Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University

The main administration building
I’ve been having a great time in China. Mostly I’ve been working, but I’ve seen a few of the sights around Dalian and in Shandong province and I’ve eaten lots of great food.

The dining halls on campus have an amazing variety of food. One dining hall has about six small restaurants that make food to order. Each specializes in a different type of food (all of which are from China) and so far I have not had a bad meal. Around campus are a number of small restaurants and food carts on the street. I have had a chance to try many of them. I particularly like the hotpot restaurants or the restaurants with freshly made noodles and fresh vegetables in a spicy bowl full of chicken or beef broth soup. The food carts have a variety of food from baked yams to crepes filled with bean paste, a hotdog, cilantro, hot peppers (dry and fresh), crispy deep fried crackers, and some lettuce. This crepe like concoction was surprisingly good. Now that Fall is here, food carts are selling candied crabapples on sticks…mmm…

Toward the end of last month was the mid-Autumn festival. For this holiday people give each other moon cakes. These are cylindrical cakes stuffed with all sorts of things. I was given a lot of moon cakes leading up to this holiday. Some of the stuffings were strawberries, tea, egg, bean and beef. Needless to say it was always interesting eating them.

Besides wandering all over campus, I have managed to see a few of the sights around Dalian. In the beginning of last month I went to Pole Aquarium. This amusement park/aquarium has many sea creatures and shows and rides centered around them. I saw a seal (or maybe sea lion) and otter show and a dolphin show. In addition to the sea life, the park also has a large aviary, which is in the form of a valley with netting. There were many interesting birds just wandering around and nesting.

The beginning of this month was a week long holiday celebrating the founding of the People’s Republic of China. For this holiday I traveled with some friends to Yentai and Weihai. These towns are across the Bohai Straight from Dalian and therefore a seven hour ferry ride away. Yantai has about 6 million people so it is about the same size as Dalian. This town is more spread out with a number of nice tree lined streets (at least in the region where I stayed) and many beautiful white sand beaches. The town and the area are known for their fruit and at this time of the year it is apples and grapes. At the night markets farmers would have truckloads of freshly picked apples for sale. We ended up bringing about 10 lbs of apples back to Dalian.

In Yentai I went to a small touristy island which is said to be owned by a god. We walked over the island and along the coast eating fruit from the trees and plants as we walked. Along the coast of the island we saw several painters painting the beautiful sea scenes and a lady in a red wedding dress being photographed. Because this is a weeklong holiday, it is a popular time for weddings. Typically the women are photographed in several different dresses (including a white dress) for their wedding albums.

On one area of the island there was a ritzy development that apparently failed. Only a few houses looked occupied, the rest were overgrown with plants and were
Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University

New buildings for the university and a subway station
falling apart. The local farmers had taken to growing plants in the yards and storing dried plants in some of the houses. Besides this area, the rest of the island was very prosperous and pleasant. After Yentai I went to Weihai which is a few hours by bus to the East. Unfortunately when we got there it was cold and very windy. So after looking around a little we went back to Dalian.

I will try to update the blog once a month however I probably won’t have any interesting trips for a while.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University
Dalian Maritime University

A typical sycamore lined street in the university.
Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University
Dalian Maritime University

An interesting classroom building on campus
Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University
Dalian Maritime University

A pond with the rec center in the background
Dalian Maritime UniversityDalian Maritime University
Dalian Maritime University

Freshmen working on their military exercises.
Pole AquariumPole Aquarium
Pole Aquarium

Pole Aquarium surrounds a small bay south of downtown Dalian
Pole AquariumPole Aquarium
Pole Aquarium

People taking pictures of the polar bear
Pole AquariumPole Aquarium
Pole Aquarium

Apparently it is good luck to put money on a turtle. I wonder what this one is thinking...
Ferry rideFerry ride
Ferry ride

Looking out the back of the ship
Ferry rideFerry ride
Ferry ride

A similar ferry traveling in the opposite direction
Beach sceneBeach scene
Beach scene

Two painters with their easels and a lady in her red wedding dress getting photographed for her wedding pictures.
A semi-abandoned developmentA semi-abandoned development
A semi-abandoned development

This was a very weird development on the island. Only a couple of these very nice and probably very expensive houses appeared to be occupied. The rest had broken windows and overgrown yards. Some buildings were only half completed.


9th October 2010
Dalian Maritime University

Like me some green roofs.
That's awesome... "Green is the new roof."
9th October 2010
Dalian Maritime University

Nice
What a nice campus! - Like the Architecture.
9th October 2010
Pole Aquarium

'turtle-tender'
Poor turtle; Probably has no idea how wealthy it is.
9th October 2010
Yantai University

There's hole!
...In that there building
9th October 2010
Hitching a ride

Nice
9th October 2010
More apartments being built in Dalian

looks like not many bicycles in Dalian streets , maybe all in campus.
12th October 2010

Bicycles
I asked the students here and in general the consensus seems to be that Dalian has too many hills for bicycles. Then again with the number of cars and trucks on the roads I would not want to be on a bicycle.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb