#46 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College-Weddings, Parties & Everything!


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
January 31st 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a whirlwind two weeks back in the Land of Oz for a well-earned holiday, I now have time to share with you all my myriad experiences of my first “Silly Season” in the great “Middle Kingdom”. For those of you who thought it might be a little lonely being so far away from home at a time when friends and families traditionally get together to celebrate, never fear! The following photo e... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A Job Well Done!A Job Well Done!
A Job Well Done!

Finished at last! Hans and Mr Xu flash smiles of relief!
Hans' SpeechHans' Speech
Hans' Speech

Hans really does have the gift of the gab. He sometimes pretends to be shy, but I don't believe him! Arthur listens carefully so he can translate to the audience.
Turkey DinnerTurkey Dinner
Turkey Dinner

Xmas night our friend Gary (a local restauranteur) put on a traditional-well almost- Xmas Dinner.Here Gary brings in the turkey for all to admire.
Guests of NUSTTCGuests of NUSTTC
Guests of NUSTTC

Here we are the guests of Nanjing University of Science & Technology, Taizhou College (what a mouthful!)for a pre New Year Students Cultural Concert dinner at the invitation of our friend Donald Si (second from the left)
Outdoor ConcertOutdoor Concert
Outdoor Concert

Interestingly the College has a day off on January 1- our New Year's Day! Here we are guests of honour at a students arts festival New Year's Concert at the new campus of Nanjing University of Science & Technology Taizhou College. The campus is so new that the Auditorium is not yet complete, so the concert was staged outside! Our host,Donald Si, is far left.
Culture in the ColdCulture in the Cold
Culture in the Cold

A very enjoyable evening- but sooooooooo cold!
Onstage WelcomeOnstage Welcome
Onstage Welcome

Official welcome by Student MC.
Don't Ask.......Don't Ask.......
Don't Ask.......

The Chinese people love to ask their foreign guests to "perform" in some way. You just have to have a sense of humour!
Hair-Raisingly Cold?Hair-Raisingly Cold?
Hair-Raisingly Cold?

The following evening was a New Year's Cultural Arts Concert at our own college. It might have been inside, but it was still freezing!
Wearable ArtWearable Art
Wearable Art

Believe it or not these ladies are wearing paper dresses made out of a piece of art that they created themselves. The poor things looked almost blue with cold!
Beijing OperaBeijing Opera
Beijing Opera

Here one of our very talented Music staff plays a role made famous by Mei Lei fang, one of the many accomplished people of the Arts that hail from Taizhou. There are classical gardens and a cultural centre named after him.
Beijing Opera 2Beijing Opera 2
Beijing Opera 2

Despite the fact that the vocal aspects can be a little difficult on the foreign ear, the visual aspects are simply stunning. Traditionally these roles were played by men, as women were not permitted to perform the traditional operas.So impressive!
ChoirChoir
Choir

The impressive choir was led by two very talented staff members. Each is an established well known singer in Taizhou.
Gifted Music TeacherGifted Music Teacher
Gifted Music Teacher

Here one of our head music teachers leads a group of student musicians performing beautiful music on traditional instruments.
Modern Dance or Martial Arts?Modern Dance or Martial Arts?
Modern Dance or Martial Arts?

As well as the traditional forms of performance, I was pleased to enjoy some more contemporary presentations.These boys were a big hit with our young ladies!
Star PerformerStar Performer
Star Performer

This young man was spectacular!
Wedding BanquetWedding Banquet
Wedding Banquet

The first of six or more such celebrations for the Foreign Language Department over the next month.
Terrific TrioTerrific Trio
Terrific Trio

My family in China!
Bride & GroomBride & Groom
Bride & Groom

A beaming Li Fei after the banquet poses with us and his new wife Sun. He is one of our administrative support team and works closely with Dean Fan.



26th March 2007

wahh! Long time no connect you. How is everything go with you?

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb