#138 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (1.Christmas Greetings; 2.Freshmen Military Training & Grad.; 3. Children of TTC Teachers)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
December 20th 2011
Published: December 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR-2012. I WISH ALL OF YOU A YEAR, THAT WILL BE FILLED WITH THE REALIZATIONS OF ALL OF YOUR EXPECTATIONS. As I am approaching my 6th Christmas Holiday in China, let me wish my loving family, my dear friends, my special students and staff here at Taizhou Teachers College, my former students and collegues at Coral Gables Sr. H.S, at the University of Miami,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 118, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Piles of duffle-bags wait for the Freshmen.Piles of duffle-bags wait for the Freshmen.
Piles of duffle-bags wait for the Freshmen.

The bags contain uniforms and other dormitory utensils for immediate need by the arriving Freshmen.
Searching for the dormitories.Searching for the dormitories.
Searching for the dormitories.

Heavy duffle-bag in hand, this person is actually walking in the wrong direction.
Waiting for the FreshmenWaiting for the Freshmen
Waiting for the Freshmen

Upper classmen make the new arrivals feel welcome. Shopping carts are offered by local merchants, to make the loads a little easier to manage.
The Foreign Language Dept. Kiosk.The Foreign Language Dept. Kiosk.
The Foreign Language Dept. Kiosk.

These are some of my wonderful friends, who help make my life at TTC special.
Pretty young ladies are waiting to help.Pretty young ladies are waiting to help.
Pretty young ladies are waiting to help.

Most of our students are girls. It is still the custom and tradition for parents and society to encourage males to pursue Math and Science, and for females the Arts and Foreign Languages.
Proud parents of a new arrival.Proud parents of a new arrival.
Proud parents of a new arrival.

For many students, it is the first time to be seperated from family, and so it is an emotianal and exciting day.
Arches are old Chinese traditions.Arches are old Chinese traditions.
Arches are old Chinese traditions.

On opening days or festival days, these red arches can be seen everywhere. Greeting are inscribed in gold letters. Red is the traditional color in China, and has been used as symbol for fortune and luck for centuries. In the West we look upon the Chinese red color as a threat, here it has been a tradition for thousands of years.
First day of Military Training; photo from my balconyFirst day of Military Training; photo from my balcony
First day of Military Training; photo from my balcony

Military Training is a requirement for all new Freshmen, in ALL Chinese schools and colleges.
Freshmen are divided into Units.Freshmen are divided into Units.
Freshmen are divided into Units.

The units consist of the students, who will share the same majors and classrooms. They will spend all their college years together in the dorms and in the classrooms. Usually about 45 students comprise a Unit.
Military Officers conduct the training.Military Officers conduct the training.
Military Officers conduct the training.

Members of the PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) introduce themselves. They will try to shape each group into a cohesive Unit. The training is both physical and mental. The lady on the left is the "lead teacher" of the Unit, and will be responsible for the group throughout their college years.
Many of the students have never seen a foreigner.Many of the students have never seen a foreigner.
Many of the students have never seen a foreigner.

By walking among the Units, I often distract the freshmen from their training.
PLA officers quickly gain the respect of the new students.PLA officers quickly gain the respect of the new students.
PLA officers quickly gain the respect of the new students.

Each day, I watch the progress of the training. Both students and PLA officers are very friendly, as I walk among them to take these photos.
This is our college Student-Union PresidentThis is our college Student-Union President
This is our college Student-Union President

He is well liked, efficient, and eager to watch the progress of the new arrivals.
The officers are well respected.The officers are well respected.
The officers are well respected.

This young PLA officer spoke wonderful English with me.
Learning how to march.Learning how to march.
Learning how to march.

The first days of training consists of learning how to march as a Unit and understand the commands of the PLA soldiers.
The freshmen ladies learn quickly.The freshmen ladies learn quickly.
The freshmen ladies learn quickly.

Only the first day, and they are doing well.
"Right Face !!! ""Right Face !!! "
"Right Face !!! "

My student and friend "Kevin" is the monitor of this new group of Pre-school Education Majors. He is in his second year, and the only boy in his class. :-)
9 boys only in a class of 469 boys only in a class of 46
9 boys only in a class of 46

Pre-school Education Majors have 9 boys this year. Lucky men.
Some ladies need a time out.Some ladies need a time out.
Some ladies need a time out.

The first day of training is not so easy on these 4 young ladies.
The young ladies are excited to see me.The young ladies are excited to see me.
The young ladies are excited to see me.

Few have ever had contact with such a "handsome" Western man. :-)
Shy PLA officer.Shy PLA officer.
Shy PLA officer.

All Chinese are shy, but they make every offort to be kind and friendly to me.



20th December 2011

u record all the nice things,which's so valuable!
u took the pictures and annotated so carefully.that's stunning.i like them.
20th December 2011

Hola!
Hey Hans, I know its been awhile. Glad to see that you are still enjoying teaching in Taizhou. I have been trying to reach you. All my emails bounced back. I was planning a trip to Shanghai for xmas, but the chinese embassy refused to grant me a visa. Apparently I lack sufficient visa pages. That or my passport is a bit too raggedy for them. It really has been through hell. Oh well. I'm thinking of going to Taiwan for a masters in either education or environmental studies. I could work on my Mandarin as well. I've quit my job here and am only staying till my replacement can take over. I'm working on getting my doggie the necessary papers to travel home with me. Wushu is the best impulse buy ever! Longest comment ever I know! Anyway, merry xmas Hans! send me your new email address if it has changed.
21st December 2011

Hi from Oz!!
Heh Hans, another year almost past, so it seems and another great photo essay. International English- is that a "new" course? Am now on at least a 10 day break and won't know about work for next year until the end of the week. Having a quiet Xmas this year, the first without Mum, just hanging around home & doing some sorting out and culling of some of my accumulated possessions!! Heh, and you got a response from Stef!!! Wow!!! Hope you have a pleasant couple of days off and best wishes for the New Year & WInter/Spring Break. Are you travelling to the States as usual?
25th December 2011

Merry Christmas!
Hi, hans, so glad to read your blog again, at this special moment, i would like to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year!
21st April 2012

You are always so kind and lovely
You are always so kind and lovely and charming
16th September 2012
Thought I would share my 1st Grade photo with you....

lovely
no sooner had people seen you when you were a kid than loved you .so lovely
26th September 2012
The big gift in my German 3 class.

Hi me brother how are you/ i am is looking fro your many yers ago. but i don't know were you now?
HI me brother how are you/ i am is looking fro your many yers ago. but i don't know were you now?
31st March 2013
Classrooms in China are not heated.

朋友
你好最近还好吗? 还记得我吗 我们以前联系过,但是由于我把你给我的网址不知道弄那里去了,现在又找回了 你给我的网址 , 看到信息后请回电话我,13476297635
11th July 2013

great!!
I teach in Virginia. I taught 1summer each in Zhengzhou and Hefei. I will retire after the 2013_14 year. My wife's family live in Nanjing. Could you give me a contact person at Taizhou Normal as I would like to return to China. Thanks - I look forward to hearing from you. Jeff Kobman
27th August 2013

Hello Mr. Kobman
Thank you for your message, and sorry about my late response. You can contact me for more information at my email: HSchneider101@gmail.com or review my entry #125 about contract and contact information. Look forward to hearing from you, Hans
22nd November 2013

I remember this giant flashy christmas tree, stood well into the end of March at the front gate of the Golden Eagle department store. Sales promoting performs was on show with young people dancing enthusistically following loud pop music, and even catholic hymns mixed in between! Soon Christmas again, wishing that all is well.

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 132; dbt: 0.2154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb