#74 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Suzhou and how to buy a home in the "Venice of the East")


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Suzhou
May 8th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

How does the "new" middle-class of China buy a first home and what might be the availability of these condo-style units, offered daily to multitudes of very eager Chinese buyers? The answer is easier to understand, by taking a look at the introduction-photo to the right, at all of the open-mouthed Coy-fish in the crowded pond, struggling and gasping to be heard: "I want one, please give me one, I ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Not much room to congregate.Not much room to congregate.
Not much room to congregate.

Each interior wooden-terrace permits a view up and down the interior of the pagoda, and also leads to open windows with wonderful city-views.
No smoking permitted!!No smoking permitted!!
No smoking permitted!!

One immmense, wooden, center-pillar supports the whole structure of the pagoda at its core.
The Buddha is getting slimmer?The Buddha is getting slimmer?
The Buddha is getting slimmer?

Suzhou is an inspiring city to visit, supported by its canals and the silk trade.
silk-cocoonssilk-cocoons
silk-cocoons

With a figure-of-eight motion, the silk-worms spin their sticky secretion into cocoons. The cocoons are steamed to kill the pupae and are soaked to soften the sticky gum, and allow the silk strands to be separated.
Tired after a narrow climb.Tired after a narrow climb.
Tired after a narrow climb.

A group of Chinese students invited to a small conversation. Each is eager to try a little English.
Hall of Attractive SceneryHall of Attractive Scenery
Hall of Attractive Scenery

The structure is named, for very good reason, the Hall of Attractive Scenery.
What a face.What a face.
What a face.

Both have shiny heads, but "beautiful" faces.
SereneSerene
Serene

The Hall of Attractive Scenery is complemented by the spring flora of Suzhou.
Spring-blossomsSpring-blossoms
Spring-blossoms

Spring is trying to hide the Hall of Attractive Scenery.
A favorite photo-spotA favorite photo-spot
A favorite photo-spot

Chinese gardens contain the essential harmony of water, rocks, trees, and elegant structures.
Another photo opportunity with a Western face.Another photo opportunity with a Western face.
Another photo opportunity with a Western face.

No visits are complete without the obligatory photo with a handsome German/American.
The subtle pink flowers of the peach trees. The subtle pink flowers of the peach trees.
The subtle pink flowers of the peach trees.

Covered walkways lead to secluded pavillions, along ponds filled with koy-fish.
ciggy breakciggy break
ciggy break

Resting on the steps of the Hall of Attractive Scenery.
Another rest...Another rest...
Another rest...

...and another moment to ponder the history of Suzhou.
For the defense of Suzhou.For the defense of Suzhou.
For the defense of Suzhou.

On display are some of the more unusual shapes of ancient weapons.
Fender-bender on the streets of Suzhou.Fender-bender on the streets of Suzhou.
Fender-bender on the streets of Suzhou.

Small incidents on the streets of Suzhou, or anywhere in China, bring instant crowds.
"Hello from Suzhou!""Hello from Suzhou!"
"Hello from Suzhou!"

It's a beautiful place to visit in China.



9th May 2007

:D
schneider! as always i love your entry.. it is always enlightening to see the differences between cultures and to realize just how much we take for granted. thanks for the well wishes about our AP and IB exams.. we're all studying hard. we love you and miss you immensely! we'll be missing you on may 31st.. graduation. check your email! LOVE YOU :)
13th May 2007

As always its an enlightening entry filled with beautiful pics. Looks like you're truly enjoying yourself. **jealous** :) I always look forward to your entries...they're an intriguing glimpse into the chinese culture.
16th May 2007

Hey!
How you been Old Man, Im glad u are enjoyin yourself. How bout you write sometime you got my email
2nd June 2007

I learnd more about China than any other sources (PBS? ABC?). My always thought China was a big labor camp where babies were abondoned everywhere and people lived in frear. These people are actually not that different from us (i.e, a dream house, good jobs) I think you should do a special report for a major network. - Drew
23rd June 2013

It's depressing to see the people gone through such stress to buy their dream homes. Now, homeowners can relax when realising how fortunate they made the decision to buy: housing price sky rocketed many folds since 2007. Anyone left behind must keep struggling until his target achieved, and then, sit back to enjoy Suzhou's beauty.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb