Agent Visit Overload, Sha Sha and Fast Trains


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Nanjing
October 16th 2012
Published: October 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A great sleep last night in the biggest bed I’ve ever slept in. So lovely to wake up and look out over the city. A bit of rain today. The first we’ve had on our China trip. Not to worry. Off to our agent visits by 9.00am.

First stop is the EIC agency. The counselors send quite a few students to Australian schools but mostly to Balwyn and Glen Waverley because families in China have relatives who live in these areas. It’s understandable that parents would want to send their students overseas to stay with family. Most of the students who come into the office want to study in America, so we spent some time outlining the positives of choosing Australia for a study experience. The counselors looked quite tired and bored even for so early in the morning. I think they have their minds set on certain schools already. Perhaps our chocolate macadamia bribes and our fabulous presentations will change their ideas about studying in Victoria.

Off to our Eduglobal visit next. On the way I was asked politely for a photo with a lovely Chinese lady and told by another young woman. I think this is the place to be for a woman growing up. All these positives are very nice. The ladies at Eduglobal had a good understanding of the program but again are used to sending their students to specific schools, namely Brighton and Glen Waverley. Hopefully we worked our charms on them and will receive some of their students in the near future.

A quick lunch of chicken noodle soup and a spot of trying on shoes, then off to see the Aoji office in the Golden Eagle Plaza. Great names for so many of their office and shopping buildings! Downstairs lots of high end shops with office space above. A bit like Collins Street. Great shoes in China and they all seem to fit me. I even saw a shop today called seven and a half. Is this the most common size in China??

The three counselors at Aoji were very attentive and interested in the training Yonghong provided about studying in Victorian government schools. Once again we provided our spiels and answered questions. It seems that New South Wales representatives haven’t been here for a while which gives us a greater opportunity for recruitment. Counselors Fred was particularly fun and very proud of the city of Nanjing. Wish were staying another night as I’m sure he could have given us plenty of shopping tips!

A short trip down the elevator and we were at our next appointment with counselors from IDP Nanjing. Christy is the office representative for Australia and Yonghong provided her with updated information about Victorian government schools. A very brief spiel about our schools and then off again to our next appointment. By this stage I need a break. The rooms are hot and we are hearing the same information over and over. Becomes really tiring! I really need a good coffee about now and a cool breeze but I’m doubtful this will happen before the next agent visit. IDP informed us that many of their families just want the most expensive boarding schools so they can boost to their friends and family and know they have provided their children with the best education. They equate cost with a better education. Sounds a bit like some people in Melbourne!

Denise and I then left for the Nanjing JJL office. Always a bit of a challenge finding offices on our own. They always seem to be round the back and up some hidden lift. Anyway, we manage to drag our tired feet from the previous agent down and under the street to JJL. The counselors were again very generous with their time and we had more of a question and answer session than a presentation. Quite a good way to present our information in amongst questions they were curious about. Embarrassing moment. A girl called Sasha introducing herself but it sounded like Sha Sha to me. Of course when I said thank you Sha Sha for her business card the girls all had a good giggle. Poor Sasha probably just had difficulty saying her name and maybe even a bit of a lisp but how was I to know?? Why on earth these people choose names they can’t say is beyond me!

Back to the hotel to pick up our luggage and then off to catch the train to Shanghai. An excellent service. So modern, clean and fast. The train travels at 298km / hour. Felt like it was hardly moving and the trip took two hours. Much better than another plane trip and cost around $42AUD.

Shanghai looks very modern and very large. Can’t tell too much as we arrived at our hotel at 10pm. Time for bed now. Exhausted!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb