Day 2 Zangjiajie


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hunan » Zhangjiajie
April 24th 2015
Published: April 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

As we sit in Marcus apartment waiting for him to finish a lesson and go to lunch in the school canteen I though I would update the blog with yesterdays news.

Day 2 in Zangjiajie was another relaxed start to the day, not up to early but early enough.

Once we were all ready we checked out, left our bags with Cozi at the hotel and headed off to the cable car lift to Tianmen Shan.

First stop was at the little restaurant on the edge of the street round the corner from the hotel for breakfast noodles and something that resembled deep fried doughnut sticks which you dip in the sauce of the noodles.

From there we headed round to the start of the cable car to collect our tickets and queue for the next car.

The cable car trip probably took about 30 minutes to get to the top, gaining height and losing height as it went until finally we got to the top, the views were amazing on the way up and you really got to appreciate how large Zangjiajie really is, we had only scratched the surface of the area.

On the way up both myself and Claire had our pictures taken with a couple of nice ladies, this wouldn't be the last time today we had our pictures taken.

Once at the top we headed to the top of the viewing platform and took in the magnificant view that surrounded us, once again a couple of lads asked if they could have there photo taken with me.

From there we jumped onto another cable chair to another section of the mountain and started our walk round to the glass walkway, to get to this you walk round the edge of the cliff on a walkway that is actually built on the side of the cliff with a sheer drop down to the bottom, this at times was a little unnerving when you had a big group of people heading towards you and trying to get past, but as you can probably imagine the view was amazing.

Once we got to the glass walk walkway we slipped on a set of red canvas over shoes and headed along the glass walkway taking photos as we went, through the glass you really got a feel for how high you were and what the drop was like bellow you, all I could think was somebody had to build this.

Once we finish there we headed back to the cable car taking in the views and headed back down to ground level.

From here we headed back to the hotel, grabbed our bags and jumped on a bus at the bus station back to Changsha.

If Chinese bus drivers, or come to think of it any Chinese driver was to enter any form of motor sport I think they would dominate, lets put it this way, they don't hang about and if your in there way they will soon pass you and leave you in a cloud of dust and smoke.

When we got back to Chengsha we jumped on the tube to Orange Island which is based in the middle of Xinag river and took what felt like quite a long hike to a stone carving of young Chairman Mao head with his hair blowing in the wind, all lit up this was quiet impressive.

From there we caught a tube train and jumped into a Taxi and headed to a street restaurant where Marcus had eaten a couple of times before, this was good fun, to start with everybody was watching our every move, it was like walking into a local pub for the first time and everybody going quiet and wondering who the hell you were, Marcus ordered some food form the waitress which turned out to be a bit of a challenge but it all turned up OK and was lovely.

We ended up with sliced potato marinated in a chilli sauce which you cooked on a stove and skillet on your table, some cold cooked beef with a chilli dipping sauce, egg fried rice and of course some beer's, this was the sort of place that at home you would just walk past but to be honest if all the locals are there it must be good and it was.

From there it was back to Marcus and off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb