Walking on the Han Lu by the Han Jie


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Wuhan
August 2nd 2018
Published: August 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

A couple of days later I was off again, but it wasn’t to find Yellow Crane Tower, this was to visit a friend that asked to show me the Han Lu (Han Street) and Han Jie (Han River) area of Wuhan. Sometimes referred to as “The Han Walking Streets”, this was similar to the Style Streets but more purely Chinese in structure and ideals. She didn’t have much time but gave me a quick tour and explanation of this area and the history attached to it. Wang Qiang (also known as “Zhaojun”) was only one of the small bits of history found in this area.

Few pictures were taken during the brief showing of the street itself but began at one end as I looked over the river. The long walking street with many wonderful shops might easily be overlooked because of it’s simplistic beauty and not truly easy to reach. My friend explained how she has rarely seen foreigners here when she had the chance to visit. I could conclude that she was right as I found myself as one of the only foreigners strolling along the street. I did discover that street dividing it into five (5)plazas: Qu Yuan, Zhaojun, Eternal Friends, Medicine Master, and Taichi Plazas. It is dedicated to the memories of the celebrities of Hubei Province planned by Wanda Commercial Planning and Research Institute.

I did only find 3 of the statues listing the story of these celebrities. Chang Tong “Sanfeng/Junbao” (1247 A.D.~1458 A.D.) who is a famous Taoist Master, founder of Wu-Tang Faction, and creator of Tai Chi Chuan. Boya and Zhong Hui “Ziqi” who’s legendary story was called “friendship of high mountains and running rivers” showing the ideal friendship between the musician and poet. And, as previously mentioned, Wang Qiang “Zhaojun” (52 B.C.~12 B.C.)who was a peacemaker by marrying the Khan of the Huns and worked to help assimilate different ethnic groups for national peace.Her marriage gave half a century of peace between Chinese and Huns.

The street was a mix of architectures, ranging from old Chinese to modern, that mostly housed high end stores and restaurants. A children’s play area and a connection to the other business of the planning group (Wanda Plaza) was present around the statues and plaques. It is a unique and slightly hidden gem within Wuhan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb