Walking the Jingzhou's Ancient City Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Jingzhou
August 1st 2018
Published: August 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Jingzhou’s Ancient City Wall



Upon the second day, I jumped off at the second stop that was after slipping under the arches of Jingzhou’s Ancient City Wall. My luck had brought me to the correct place as I found the main site for this ancient structure after a short walk along the great structure. The walkway upon the wall itself is divided into two sections; stairs for pedestrian soldiers and the Horse Way for mounted soldiers plus to ease transporting supplies along the wall. The view of other ancient style architecture houses can be noticed from the area above the gates and some sections of the wall. Statues and decorative weapons are placed a top this entry point showing both the common soldier garments and historical figures. Within this guard post, you find displays of ancient items, statues of historical figures, and paintings depicting scenes of that time period. A small store, and a miniature of the wall and the inner buildings.



This is when it’s time to “patrol” this long section of the wall that is open to visitors. Ancient cannon still sit ready to be used upon the smaller defensive turrets. You also find the open area between the double gates that is set to have trapped enemies defeated with rocks, arrows, and any other available projectiles. You can spot a ship across the river used as part of a stage show and another historical compound that I couldn’t find a path to reach during this first visit here. Only a small section below is accessible from this tower but the long section of wall makes for a great vantage point to take photos of the area. Out the East Gate leads you to the Riverside Park that sits along the section of accessible wall.



Riverside Park



The park is filled at the East Gates with vendors and areas to play games of skill and luck. The natural beauty of thriving greenery is visible as far as the eye can see as you walk along the river. Racks to hang and dry fishes can be found with a look as ancient as if you were still in the feudal period of Chinese history. Rent-able pedal boats sit ready to go on the river’s edge. Flower boxes line the opposite side as you return toward the gates you entered this section from. Trees, bushes, benches, and flowers surround this section of Riverside Park you travel along. A simple process to cross the street brings you into Yuhe Health Square.



Yuhe Health Square



This smaller park is geared for walking or jogging in a very clean area of green which includes statues, painted stones, and a small amusement park before entering the second section of stone tiled and water ponds. The very natural atmosphere coupled with the bridges make this a good place to walk while still keeping mostly in the shade around the river. Once more you cross a bridge to step easily along an inaccessible section of Jingzhou’s Ancient City Wall to return to the starting point of this adventure. The long day of walking felt good as I returned to my hotel which I must recommend to anyone visiting Jingzhou. The service is five-stars but the price is closer to the three-star hotels at Qube Hotel . Then it was back to Wuhan for my third visit to this large city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 342, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb