A Change of Pace


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Henan » Kaifeng
February 7th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kaifeng - 7.02.06

After all our recent time in modern Chinese cities, we wanted our next stop to be something a bit different. We decided on Kaifeng, a much less developed place where skyscrapers are banned for fear of destroying the old city that lies beneath it meaning that it has managed to escape much of the industrialisation of modern China.

You can feel the difference as soon as you arrive. The atmosphere is more hustle and bustle than fast paced city life and there are many more bicycles and pedlos on the road than we've been used to recently. Also the architecture feels much more traditional Chinese in design.

We only had 2 days to explore and, judging by the photos, we seem to have spent most of the time eating! We also saw a couple of temples and wandered around the market.

The reason for the abundance of food related photos was the fantastic mobile food stands at the night market. For most of the trip we've not been overly impressed with the food available in the night markets. We buy a few things here and there but mainly stick to the small eateries dotted along the streets. In Kaifeng though the night market is a serious business, there are stalls after stalls of kebabs, noodles, bread, jaozi (chinese dumplings) as well as a whole host of things I couldn't name. We tried a bit of everything we dared, the lamb kebabs in the freshly made bread (which resembled a scotch pancake!) were particularly delicous. We also had chance to mingle with locals over our morning noodles which was fun.

Kaifeng is a thoroughly lovely place, it's such a shame that 2 days is all we had to spare but ours visas are running out and we still have so much we want to see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Spruced up templeSpruced up temple
Spruced up temple

See how a few paper dragons can liven a place up..!
Imprompteu showImprompteu show
Imprompteu show

As we neared the temple for a closer look a play started, which was nice.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb