Wondering where to spend Chinese New Year in 2015?


Advertisement
Asia » China » Heilongjiang » Harbin
April 3rd 2014
Published: July 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Feeling hot this summer? I hope this cools you down! Chinese New Year is never a good time to take a holiday in China. Millions of people want to go home to celebrate the festival with their family and millions of others go traveling because this is pretty much the only time in the year when everyone gets a whole week off… As a result, it’s really hard to get bus tickets at the date you want... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 219, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




9th July 2014

Dumplings!
The ice sculptures looks so pretty, but I'm not sure how I would cope with that intense cold. On the other hand, I might be able to put up with it for plates of those dumplings :)
9th July 2014

Hah, Jeremy, I really agree with you about the people in Harbin. When I first got there, I couldn't understand a single word of taxi drivers. And people in some stores were very unfriendly. And a lot of people kept asking about my accent and telling me my Chinese's not good. But the island experience on the other side of the river was an unforgettable memory. I went to this island on the Chinese New Year's eve. There's an Iceland hotel where I could watch over the other shore. The concrete jungle in the sound of crackers was such a contrast to the silence on the island. The view was great, but prices were ridiculous. A Chinese friend invited me to her family for a dinner. Gee, they ate like three times at night: 6pm, 8pm, and 12pm! Big family, huge table, and lots of lots of dumplings!
9th July 2014
Maman, je suis a Harbin! Et je me caille!

vraiment ?
ah ah ! tu auras plus chaud à Rio !
9th July 2014
Street scene in Harbin

sacré Père Noël !
ça, c'est un beau Père Noêl !
9th July 2014
Beautiful snow sculpture in Harbin

What a contrast!
From solitary bike riding to joining Chinese New Year crowds in a popular tourist spot--I guess now, you can do anything! Great that you and Becky managed to really enjoy the place even though there were so many (and not so friendly) people and such incredible cold. I've always wanted to go to this festival or the one in Sapporo, Japan, so thanks for the fabulous photos that let me enjoy it from my room in warm, sunny Peru.
10th July 2014

Wow
I'd love to go to this festival. The sculptures are amazing. Thanks for posting these photos.
10th July 2014

Brrrrr
Nearly got to Harbin 12 years ago...changed our bookings to travel to Central China instead...that year -35Cin Harbin. Gotta say the ice sculptures tempt me as does adding another Provence to my list. And now you say crowds, crowds and more crowds. Maybe I've missed my opportunity.
10th July 2014

it's never too late!
the festival starts a month before Spring Festival and ends maybe a month (or 2?) after Chinese new year. Plan your trip after the national holiday and you'll pretty much have the place to yourself! (If you go early they might still be working on some of the sculptures).
1st August 2014

wonderful
yes, its better to read about it when hot summer outside :) Truly amazing ice creations. as i never gonna to see in reality and i didn't suspect such even exists!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb