Chengde Mountain Resort and Outlaying Temples


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hebei » Chengde
April 16th 2010
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mountain ResortMountain ResortMountain Resort

Entrance to mountain resort
Chengde is an historical city built around the mountain resort and temples used by the Qing emperors. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The mountain resort was built over 100 years from 1704. It is cooling in summer and used as the summer palace for the Qing Dynasty Emperor to escape the heat. It was also the shelter for the Chinese Emperor in 1860 when Beijing was invaded by the western powers.

The temples around the mountain resort were ordered built by the Qing dynasty emperor and their first stop to Chengde was to offer prayers in the temples. The resort itself has section where the emperor work and live. The rest of the area is beautiful garden landscape. It was also here that the Qing dynasty emperor Xianfang had sign the treaties that give land away to other countries. There is now a plaque at the building where the treaties were signed as a national education.


We visited Puning temple which is the most popular among the outlaying temples. The temple houses the largest wooden Buddha sculpture in the world. The front section of the temple has traditional Chinese temple architectural designs while the back
Puning TemplePuning TemplePuning Temple

Temple hall with chinese architectural design in the front section.
section has Tibetan temple designs.

Along the way to the mountain resort, we stop by the Putuozongcheng temple which was modeled after the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet.

We took a 4 hours train ride from Beijing to Chengde and booked a car to bring us to Beijing in 2 hours by the new expressway. The last train fast leaves for Beijing at noon. So, travelling by car back to Beijing saves us the extra night in Chengde.

Note: The contents (text and photos) of this article remain the copyright of the Author. Under no circumstances should the photos or text be used without the express written permission of the Author. Please contact the Author by leaving a message if you wish to use or publish photos or text from this article.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Puning TemplePuning Temple
Puning Temple

The Tibetan temple designs are at the rear of the temple.
Mountain ResortMountain Resort
Mountain Resort

Lakes around the resort. Very bare like this during the winter months.
Puning TemplePuning Temple
Puning Temple

Temple hall with chinese architectural design in the front section.
Puning TemplePuning Temple
Puning Temple

Roofs of temple buildings.
Putuozongcheng Temple Putuozongcheng Temple
Putuozongcheng Temple

This temple was built in 1767 modeled after the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
Mountain Resort BuildingsMountain Resort Buildings
Mountain Resort Buildings

The room on the left was where the Qing dynasty emporer signed the treaties in 1860.
Mountain ResortMountain Resort
Mountain Resort

Plaque on the wall next to the room where the treaties were signed.
Mountain ResortMountain Resort
Mountain Resort

Lakes around the resort. Very bare like this during the winter months.
Beijing - Chengde Train serviceBeijing - Chengde Train service
Beijing - Chengde Train service

These are the fast cars and runs between this 2 cities. They are the fastest trains on this line.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb