Hangin' in Hangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hangzhou
June 1st 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

25 years. My how the time passes. Seems only yesterday that I choked on stale wedding cake amongst the trees of northern Michigan where we camped for our 1 year anniversary celebration. Just Matt, my mom, my dad, and I enjoying the great outdoors. Now, many years, smiles, miles, and a few tears later, here we are staying in luxury at the Shangri La hotel in Hangzhou, China. A few million more people around us, but still so relaxing to step away from our daily life - if even for only a couple of days. The weather was perfect. The feel in the air about as romantic and relaxing as can be for only a 1 hour express train ride away from Shanghai. We did whatever we wanted. Slept, ate, biked, ate, rode a boat, rode another boat, and of course ate some more. Feeling lucky to have each other to share these simple pleasures with, we return to our two teens in Shanghai - house intact and dishes even washed. Ahhh..... Life is good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Shangri La viewShangri La view
Shangri La view

From our hotel nestled against the mountainside, we have a lovely view of West lake. Somehow, way back in the 8th century, this lake was dredged from a lagoon. The lovely islands dotting the lake were formed from the dredged up silt.
HangzhouHangzhou
Hangzhou

Like an army in the mist, the buildings of Hangzhou loom in the background of the scenic causeways around and through West Lake. We biked along these causeways and around the lake.
Where are we???Where are we???
Where are we???

Large shade trees and upscale shops. We even managed to find a spanish coffee shop serving some killer chocolate! Are we really in China??
Shhhhhh!Shhhhhh!
Shhhhhh!

This place is sooo peaceful, even the grass is allowed to slumber undisturbed!
Island mirroring the moonIsland mirroring the moon
Island mirroring the moon

On this tiny island in the middle of the lake, there are many peaceful vistas.
Fellow travelorsFellow travelors
Fellow travelors

As we float along on our gondola ride, we pass another party enjoying themselves at the end of the day. I take this photo and they all smile at me and say "thank you!".
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Finally, we get our chance!! We reminisced about how we were unable to afford a gondola ride when we backpacked through Venice in 1985. So now, over 20 years later, the price here in China is still WAY cheaper than back then in Venice. Heading into shore at the end of our 45 minute ride, we enjoy the serene mountain views and wish for a longer ride.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb