Countryside Ramble


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yangshuo ViewYangshuo ViewYangshuo View

Yangshuo view with lotuses in the foreground
On our last day in Yangshuo (one of my favorite destinations ever) we decided to rent a scooter and check out as much of the countryside as possible. Our butts and legs were still somewhat sore from the mountain biking adventures on the previous day. Finding a scooter that would fit the both of us was somewhat difficult.

I had a hand-drawn map, a scooter with a full battery, and an eager girlfriend on riding on the back seat telling me not to go too fast (we quickly discovered that we had the worlds slowest scooter - much to her delight). It was going to be a good day (not to mention the 95 degree weather). And it was a good day. The best way to check out this area is from a bike or a scooter at a slow pace. Around every bend lay another great photo opt., or a friendly Chinese man/woman/child excited to test out the one english word that they know "Hello".

We puttered past fields of rice, small villages, winding streams with stone bridges that had been around for longer then our entire country. The history in China is quite
Truck/tractorTruck/tractorTruck/tractor

After the tire issue
impressive - but at the same time, its hard to get a feel for it because things are constantly being updated - or repainted or refinished - so a lot of these old temples don't really look that old because they have a fresh coat of paint on them.

The landscape in this area is really dramatic. Imagine multi-leveled rice fields running off into the distance with GIGANTIC cliffs poping up all over the place. All these cliffs have twisted narly trees on them, and all the fields have buffulo and asia rice picker hats dotting them.

Haley and I are driving around really taking it all in. We're probably over an hour away from town - on some tiny back road - barely a road. I'm actually wondering if this road leads anywhere (but don't let haley know that). We see a small group of old chinese men sitting under a tree - that we pass - all pointing down a side street. The locals always seem to have some sort of site that they want to charge you a few bucks to see - we politely wave and say hi as we pass then BANG/POP/EXPLOSION!!!!!!!!! Our back tire blew up! Oh man.....what the hell are we going to do out here in the middle of nowhere???? The old men are giggling in the background - and I instantly think that we have fallen victom to the old "I just happen to have a bike repair shop here...and ohhh..there just happens to be a lot of tacks in the road right in front of the shop scam" But that doesnt seem to be the case - they all come over and talk to us - and point at the tire - and they they all do there impression of the POPing sound (which is actually really funny because they are all old and toothless). And just before I even get a chance to lose hope in our desperate situation a old "truck" like thing comes around the corner. These things are closer to a tractor with a completely exposed engine (spilling gas and oil everywhere - and go terribly slow (even slower then the scooter - slower then walking). The chinese men flag him down (which isnt hard considering we are standing in the middle of the dirt path). After a lot of sign language and pointing no one has any real idea of what is going on but i get the impression that this guy is giong to take us to the edge of town. We happily load our downed bike into the back of this tractor thing and then endure the BUMPIEST ride of our lives.

We eventually make it back to civilization and I give this guy (who didnt expect any money) a tip that made him grin from ear to ear. We had some slight issues with our bike rental company but nothing that couldn't be worked out.

All in all a very eventful day. We are now back in Beijing finishing up a few last things before we head home.

Notes:

Haley and I have taken purse shopping to the next level. We just recently discovered that most of these street shops have a secret back room with all the high end fake gear. And they only invite certain people into the back....
I have a new barganing record - we got something that started at 1700 down to 150. Talk about a markup in price
I love dumplings - I have dumplings everday day.....(known
Rice farmerRice farmerRice farmer

Rice farmer
in the states as potstickers)
We met a really nice couple in Yangshou that had been keeping up with our blog as well - hey guys!




1650 to 150



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bird FishermenBird Fishermen
Bird Fishermen

This is one of the guys that uses birds to catch fish


1st June 2007

My two favorite dumplings
Well if ever there were two dumplings it's you and Haley. I hope you are planning to write about a book about all your travels and how to survive on a shoestring budget when traveling through China and every other place that you've been. You should serioulsy think about opening up a travel agency at home or hire yourself out as a tour guide for the adventour types of travelers. Please bring Haley over when you get back!!! Have fun and stay safe!! Cheers, Bev
1st June 2007

Birds of a Feather
Hi Chris and Haley -- glad things are going so well. Traveling the back roads of China takes a lot of guts. It is wonderful that everyone seems so friendly and helpful. The birds used for fishing that you have mentioned a couple of times are cormorants. They are common in the U.S. and Virginia, and are unique in that they will perch and hold their wings open to dry. In Asia the fisherman put a ring around their necks so they can catch a fish but can't swallow it. Have a safe trip home, and see you next week.
1st June 2007

Not too bad
I just came back from Yangshuo in 28th May. It's a good place if you want to see China's rural scenery.
1st June 2007

Purse shopping to the next level...man! How did you all get invited to that? Hopefully you found something cute for me :) Your trip has flown by and I can't wait to see all of your pictures once you get home. How many of these will sell I wonder!
1st June 2007

That's the Best
ya gotta love those unexpected moments that start defining your whole trip and your girl friend gets tired of hearing you tell the story over and over to friends ... I had some what of a frightening expereince on my arrival into Beijing two years ago when a taxi driver, lost at 11:30 pm dumps me off on a street corner. I ened up taking a rickshaw through back allies and I just knew I was going to be killed but it all worked out.
2nd June 2007

missing the Yangshuo local beer...
It was great meeting up with you in Yangshuo. Enjoy the rest of your trip and look us up next time your in SF (or Phoenix until next may). pat and molly pdevinger@hotmail.com

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb