Edit Blog Post
Published: October 11th 2010
While I was upset that I was unable to lock-down travel plans for the week-long National Holiday...staying in Guilin has given me the opportunity to learn a little bit more about the city and the culture - and a few other things as well.
1. They save the leftovers in dining halls and restaurants. Often times, you will see it scraped into a big bucket outside the door...a mildly nauseating sight. What I didn't know, is that they send it to farms to feed to the pigs. Pork is, after all, the prefered meat in China.
2. I discovered the location of a good salon that gives great manicures and pedicures.
3. On holidays, the guard at F.L.S. with the keys locks all of the buildings before 10:00pm, then he leaves...so if you do not want to sleep in the English office, or call to have him drive back to school and let you out, don't do your web-surfing at night.
4. The osmanthus flowers have bloomed again. They came to full fruition during the National Holiday, so I could have missed it by leaving. Because it is a National Holiday (and tourist time), I think they mandated that the flowers could not be picked until after the holiday ended. This is sad because I have taken numerous photos of the trees in bloom, and am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to take photos of the stooped-over, old women picking the blossoms from the low-hanging branches to dry and sell for tea. The small yellow flowers are beginning to fall off the trees, and I can't help but look at the petals on the ground and think of the gallons of gui hua cha that will not be made this coming year. ( I will write a bit more on this topic and post pictures later).
5. I found some great places to do my Christmas shopping.
6. I learned how to make chow fen (traditional Chinese fried noodles) and have eaten it nearly every day since.
7.I have formed a mild caffeine dependancy. I have a difficult time functioning without my morning cup-o'-joe.
8. Moli Nai Cha is my new favorite tea drink (Jasmine milk tea). For whatever reason, it works.
That's about all I have for now.
This one goes out to the one(s) I love.
Tot: 2.444s; Tpl: 0.059s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0649s; 2; m:saturn w:www (22.214.171.124); sld: 2;
; mem: 1.3mb