Big Trouble in Little China.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guigang
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Life in China has been going along very nicely. Although Damo and I had ‘officially’ finished our classes at our respective schools, we have been kept very busy with private lesson, kindergarten lessons, school registration days, promotional days, pre-semester training and the judging of a very auspicious English competition.

We have had some time to relax and have fun though. We’ve been hanging out with the locals that live in the building next to us. They are building an 8 story building and many of the workers live on the ground floor, even though it is no more than brick and cement. They have set up a hose /make shift shower and they stand on the brick fence to shower in their undies at night. Sometimes I don’t realize what they are doing as it is so dark until it is too late!!

There is a bit of a communication barrier but they are fun. We sit outside and drink beer out of rice bowls.

Our friend Liam took us to Nanning to visit his friend who is an architect and very famous in the area. When we arrived we were picked up from the bus station and taken straight out to lunch. We were treated as VIP’s and served the best snake soup and many other delights. This included being served and polishing off almost 6 bottles of Bijou, the National Drink of China which is 52%. It was the best in China you can get in the Southern Provinces. We were served large glasses of cold soy milk to sip between our shots of this delightful white spirit, Bijou. The dinner lasted from 1pm - 7pm. We had a private room and our own waitress who stood in the corner waiting to serve us. They must see some funny sights as we were pretty tipsy by the end.

Liam’s friend did'nt have an English name so Damo and I decided he ‘must’ have one. We thought long and hard and as he is a real character, everybody’s mate and not really a shy flower, we decided his name should be Davo.

The next day Davo took us for a drive around the beautiful outskirts of Nanning and we had lunch on a cliff overlooking the river. The restaurant we went to was made of wood with no windows so a nice breeze kept us cool in the summer heat.

Afterwards we went to a snooker hall. It was a serious one too. The balls were wrapped in silk and our own attendant set them up. Everything was immaculate.

For dinner we were taken to The Brazil Barbeque. Oh my god!!! All you can eat meat. Damo was in heaven. Waiters came around with a big silver skewer like they had pulled it straight off a souvlaki stand and came around to everyone’s table and cut slices straight off the huge cut of meat onto our plates. Also it was a buffet. I nearly wet my pants I was so excited about the variety of food they had. And it wasn’t all Chinese.

Now, we are just counting down the hours until we leave for Beijing.

Stay tuned!
Dani & Damo



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



14th July 2007

Nanning
It is really nice to read this blog and remember the time we had in Nanning, Snake soup, Liam on his horse..LOL... The brazilian bbq was divine, I would go back there anytime!! Am looking forward to our journey which begins tomorrow, I wonder what adventures await us...... I am very happy to experience all of this with you... Damo xxxxx
14th July 2007

see you
Liam to Davo hum. will see you in 1 sleep and 1 aeroplane ride. excited now love to you and damo mum
14th July 2007

see you
Liam and Davo are 2 different people. :)

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb