碉楼 Diaolou "The watchtower"


Advertisement
Asia » China » Guangdong
December 3rd 2015
Published: April 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

For me these Diaolou or Watchtowers were a great discovery, to escape from the guangzhou hustle and bustle. The diaolou are fortified multi-storey towers, that were built by returning Chinese immigrants from North America and other parts of southeast Asia. The Diaolou were constructed at the beginning of the 20th century and there were more than 3,000 of these structures spread allover the place... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





25th April 2017

Catching up...
Just catching up on your China blogs. It's lovely that you capture the quieter, calmer, and more traditional aspects of Chinese life...quite contrary to the popular view of what modern China is. I also like that your sepia and red toned photos match the tone of your blogs perfectly :)
26th April 2017

Catching up
Hello, thanks for that, yes I love to see differences in my travels otherwise it would be very boring.I think it is hard to discover true China,nowadays but there is still something left if you dig a bit somewhere.I appreciate your comment RenAndrew..
27th April 2017

Diaolou
I believe you have captured it perfectly with your words Marcos, "When I see these old traditions, that are still kept in some parts of the world, I am always joyful to witness that certain traditions are not forgotten and there is still a bit of diversity in this more and more materialist and globalized world."
27th April 2017

Diaolou
Hi Dave, I appreciate that you share my words! this makes me feel really happy. I tell you Dave that, next time I go back to Asia, I got inspired by a story written by a journalist called Viktor Zorza that, when he retired ,he went to live in a remote village in the Himalayas and he wrote an article for an UK newspaper telling every aspects of that village lifestyle to be known globally. I think this was a great idea and I would also like to lose myself somewhere in India where there are no signs of tourism and globalization and trying to write on my blog what I can see and understand about the life of those communities living in those hidden parts of the Himalayas and the world.. Thanks to appreciate my feelings Dave.

Tot: 0.376s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 39; qc: 149; dbt: 0.2499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb