China-A new life


Advertisement
Asia » China » Guangdong
January 3rd 2016
Published: January 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Antarctic is done for the time being. Someday I may try to go back to that type of life and travels. But now a new adventure awaits me. It took two years and a forest of paperwork, but now I have a job working as support staff at the American Consulate in Guangzhou, China. Ive been in country for seven weeks now on the start of a two year contract. Every weekend I explore the sights, sounds, cultu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 570, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest ParkExploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park
Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park

Huolushan Forest Park is located in the north east of Guangzhou, China. The most direct route here was on the Keyun Road, which was more HWY then local road.
Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest ParkExploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park
Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park

Phil and Karl 3/4 the way to the top. A ride in the fog with light drizzle which kept us cool. The road topped out at 379 meters. The road was so steep in places, all of us had to push our bikes on foot.
Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest ParkExploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park
Exploring Guangzhou - Fall 2016 - Huolushan Forest Park

Looking back at the top of the first crest, then a slight down hill ride and more steeps to the very top. If I rode this once a week i would be in super shape.
Guangzhou Southern Train Station, Sept. 2016Guangzhou Southern Train Station, Sept. 2016
Guangzhou Southern Train Station, Sept. 2016

Great security at the train station. One has to go thru three different checks. Makes the train station security in the United States look like some Mickey Mouse affair.
High Speed Train to Youngshou, Sept. 2016High Speed Train to Youngshou, Sept. 2016
High Speed Train to Youngshou, Sept. 2016

Y 177.00 each way. Guangzhou - Youngshou. Total cost in US$ 42.15. Seats have more room and are more comfortable then first class on a plane. Its a little over 200 miles by train and takes about two hours.
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016Yangshuo China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016

Yangshuo (Chinese: 永州; pinyin: Yǒngzhōu) is a prefecture city in the south of Hunan province, People's Republic of China, located on the southern bank of the Xiang River, which is formed by the confluence of the Xiao and Xiang Rivers, and bordering Guangdong to the southeast and Guangxi to the southwest.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

With a history of 2000 years, Yangshuo one of the four ancient counties in Hunan. Its total area is 22,441 square kilometres (8,665 sq mi).
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016Yangshuo China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Yangshuo a humid subtropical climate, with an annual mean temperature of 17.78 °C (64.0 °F), although within the prefecture-level city this ranges from 17.6 to 18.6 °C (63.7 to 65.5 °F).
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Sunrise - Winters are mild and brief, beginning somewhat dry and turning wet and gloomy as the season progresses.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

Spring is very rainy, especially in May, which is the wettest month. Summer is very hot and humid, with moderate levels of rain, and generous sunshine; on average, July and August are the only two months where the area receives more than half of possible sunshine.
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016Yangshuo China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo China Sept. 2016

Autumn is the driest season. From January to May, on average, more than half of the days each month receive some precipitation. The monthly 24-hour average temperature ranges from 6.0 °C (42.8 °F) in January to 28.8 °C (83.8 °F) in July.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

The annual precipitation is around 1,430 mm (56 in). With monthly percent possible sunshine ranging from 15% in February and March to 58% in July, the city receives 1,491 hours of sunshine annually.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

I wanted to use BikeAsia -http://www.bikeasia.com for their on day bicycle, but their were no other people signed up. I rented a bicycle from them on two separate days. A bit more expensive then other places, but their bicycles are much better maintained. Y70 or US$10.77 per day.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

Looking over the bridge spanning the Li Jiang River toward the village of Fu Li.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

Moon Hill (Chinese: 月亮山; pinyin: Yuèliàng Shān; li "Moon Mountain") is a hill with a natural arch through it a few kilometers outside Yangshuo. It is so named for a wide, semicircular hole through the hill, all that remains of what was once a limestone cave formed in the phreatic zone. It takes roughly 20 minutes to climb (about 800 steps) to the arch. The climb is all in the shade. Access is Y14.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016 Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Hiking to the TV Tower in Yangshuo is one of those activities many people skip. First you have to find the path that leads to the tower. There are no signs, so you need to follow your instinct.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - When you are in town, and look at the tower, towering over the town center, you will see it is a long way up and many feel discouraged to even start. It is quite a climb but it’s not a difficult. The path is mostly stairs, and most are in condition.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Sunrise -Where to start? First, check our map and find the TV Tower, it’s behind the market. Now, when you walk to the market (the one at Pantao Road) and stand in front of the market, go right and take the first street next to the market. As there are no signs you have to follow your instinct a little. Behind the market is the hill. What you need to do is this: walk in the small street and at the end go left. Then take the first street right and keep following the direction to the hill.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Sunrise -The higher you are on the path, the more spectacular the views become. A good advice is to go in the early morning. Start at 5;30 - 6;00am to make it to the top for the sunrise. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half, depending how fit you are and how much time you need to make photos.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

TV Tower View - Sunrise -A good advice is to use your walking boots, but sneakers. At the top there is a Y10 or US$1.50 entry fee.
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016
Yangshuo, China Sept. 2016

A rest stop on the Shen Shan Lu road. Passing thru the villages of Zhang Gui, Jiao Ba Lin, Gu Ban, Cha Hua Qiao, Bai Sha and onto the Yu Long River.



3rd January 2016
Guangzhou- Nov. 2015

Looks beautiful.... Happy to hear that you are enjoying it there. :) Happy New Year!! Di & Joe
18th August 2016

Silly Submariner
I hope that you are doing very well in Guangzhou and you have fully acclimated. Enjoy yourself there. Extremely hot in Lewis County this summer and very humid. We have had a "drought" and tornado this summer. The corn still grows. Take care. Derek
24th August 2016

AWESOME!!
So great to hear from you and about your amazing adventures! I'm now a subscriber to your blog so keep it up!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb