Through the eyes of a visitor


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shenzhen
June 23rd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Reunion WeekendReunion WeekendReunion Weekend

Hong Kong Edition - What jet lag? Let's go out!
Finally after months of anticipation and seemingly endless preparations (passports and visas to apply for, plane tickets and luggage and appropriate travel clothes to buy, camera batteries to charge, PTO to save and work coverage to arrange...) I went to China. I'd never been anywhere. But thanks to Mandy's (or Amanda's depending on what phase in her life you met her) encouragement, I decided to start big. So I flew across the world (literally via the North Pole), wandered around what felt like a whole other world for a few weeks and then came back.

I've been back in the U.S. for a week now and have faced countless questions from friends, family and coworkers about "How was it?", "How was China?". The answer has been different everytime and none of them seem to adequately describe the last 2 weeks of my life.

China was an assult on the senses. It was the smell of seafood and street food and diesel exhaust and toilets that aren't always flushable and gardenias in the monastery courtyards and incense inside the sanctuaries. It was the taste of green tea and fried rice and sichuan spices and starbuck cappucino's. It was the sound
Hong Kong at NightHong Kong at NightHong Kong at Night

Hong Kong...a gentle introduction to the East.
of unknown languages and accented "hello"'s and monks chanting and horns honking and men hocking lugies (spelling?) on the train. It was the feeling of rain and sweat and humidity that saturated every pore of my body, a never ending dampness. It was the feeling of being totally fascinated and frustrated at the same time. The feeling of a lack of understanding of the world around me and how to negiotiate it that was unnerving and uncomfortable. And the sights...those are best described by the pictures.

The words only begin to describe what China is, or was to me anyway during my short time there. One thing I can say for sure is that Mandy's right...the place is crazy!





Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Not what you thinkNot what you think
Not what you think

Lucky for him, you're only supposed to eat dog in the winter.
Victoria's PeakVictoria's Peak
Victoria's Peak

We heard the views were breathtaking at night.
On a clear nightOn a clear night
On a clear night

This is what our pictures should have looked like.
A day at the beachA day at the beach
A day at the beach

There was nothing repuslive about Repulse Bay.
What can you do at the beach?What can you do at the beach?
What can you do at the beach?

Not much apparantly. You also weren't allowed to swim that day thanks to Red Tides. And sunbathing....well it rained of course.
Welcome to China!Welcome to China!
Welcome to China!

The view from the bus in Shenzhen. I was never sure if all the rubble was from buildings going up or coming down.
Moving on!Moving on!
Moving on!

Next destination,Chengdu. This is the river at night.
The girl has an eye...The girl has an eye...
The girl has an eye...

for Starbucks. I was questioning our sense of direction as we wandered the city on bikes. Mandy's internal Starbucks compass new exactly where we were going.
China at last!China at last!
China at last!

This is more what I pictured when I thought China.
The Panda ReserveThe Panda Reserve
The Panda Reserve

It seemed we had some diffculty getting both of us and the appropriate scenary in the picture. Where's the bear?
BetterBetter
Better

There he is!
Ah Emeishan!Ah Emeishan!
Ah Emeishan!

The best part of the trip...the hike up Emeishan
Action StarsAction Stars
Action Stars

We are probably famous somewhere in china right now.
Too CuteToo Cute
Too Cute

Our Chinese boyfriend.
Buddhism up close.Buddhism up close.
Buddhism up close.

Exploring the monasteries on our way up Emeishan
Seriously!Seriously!
Seriously!

The rest of the mountain pretty much looked like this. I'm proud to brag that over two days, we did 22 miles of stairs.
Working too hardWorking too hard
Working too hard

They were on the way home but before this their baskets and packs were loaded with concrete blocks that they hiked 5 miles down the mountain. We'd never seen anything like it.
The Golden SummitThe Golden Summit
The Golden Summit

We got up at 4 am to see what the guide books all said would be an awe-ispring sunrise. What we got were clouds. But it still made for good pictures.
View from the TopView from the Top
View from the Top

Who knew we could get so excited over a change in the color of the clouds?
Nursing my woundsNursing my wounds
Nursing my wounds

The mossy stairs on the mountain and I didn't always get along. Nothing cures the scrapes and bruises like a little Starbucks.
Xi'an's Muslim QuarterXi'an's Muslim Quarter
Xi'an's Muslim Quarter

Earlier in the day we witnessed the undescribably brutal death of an eel and the last moments on a variety of other animals in the market. Here they look a little more appetizing cooked.
Terra Cotta WarriorsTerra Cotta Warriors
Terra Cotta Warriors

Taking in a little history.
Getting ServedGetting Served
Getting Served

Tea time at the "tea mall" in Shenzhen. There really is an art to serving tea and it was a very "Only in China" moment.


2nd July 2007

The pictures are wonderful and most of the time a smile is on your face. I hope that you always remember China with a smile. I believe Amanda has more adventures in her and if you are not careful...you may be invited on her next journey. It is funny how nothing is ever what is seems and is never exactly the same each time we remember it either. You are a brave soul to pick China as your first venture out of the USA. Mrs. Ahrens
6th July 2007

Yes! Sarah made the blog! :) Lucy and I were out walking around St. Louis when the two of your were traversing through China and we commented on how adventurous you two are. Mandy, Lucy said you should become the writer/editor of a travel guide and I agree. You've had a good start with this blog! Can't wait 'til 18 months are up!

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb