Where Have All The Good Men Gone and Where Are Chelsea's Blogs?


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Foshan
November 14th 2018
Published: November 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

As a few of you have been quick to point out, my blogs vanished sometime last week. But to all my critics out there, aka Rachel and Olivia, haters gonna hate. Also, because I make all the rules here, I’m skipping the Owyeung village blog because that one is super long and I need to get a blog post up. More to come on that one. So pretend it’s Monday of last week, the day after the Owyeung village visit.

Today, Monday, we visited another village. There was a camera crew waiting for us on arrival. Mom, the resident ginger, got off the bus and the cameras just loved her. She started talking to this Chinese woman and telling her all of our family secrets and stories, before realizing she was a reporter. Before that realization, she told them how her child blogged throughout China. So in case the Chinese government is reading this, I can’t say enough how great China is and also please don’t arrest me.

Once all of our family secrets were in the hands of the government, we headed out to village #2. Ron, this guy that paid private investigators to figure out his Chinese
Extra, Extra, Read All About It!Extra, Extra, Read All About It!Extra, Extra, Read All About It!

Mom and Dad sharing our family history with the Zhongshan Daily News.
heritage and the investigators turned up with nothing, had very low expectations on his village. But we arrived to tons of firecrackers and huge welcome signs. They made Ron light a couple fire crackers, and we all cracked up watching his facial expressions as it was quite obvious he was terrified of fire crackers. His village also cooked us a home cooked lunch.

Dinner tonight was a famous squab place. Dad’s favorite dish is squab (who knew?). I’ve never had it before, but I also thought it was delicious. It just was a lot of work and took a lot of muscle to get to the meat. They also had jin dui the size of basketballs (they’re usually the size of ping pong balls). All in all, a great meal!

The next day was Tuesday, as is the usual course of how a week works. It was our last day of rooting, and we journeyed to one last village, where they prepared a meal for all of us, before we headed out to the Wing Chun temple. Dad practices Wing Chun, and has been to China before with his Kung Fu class, and this museum. He proudly told
Who Wore It Better?Who Wore It Better?Who Wore It Better?

Edna Mode is ready for her fight against melanoma, sporting 2 hats and special sunglasses. But no capes.
everyone on the bus how he was in the museum. But, when we got to the museum, he was no where to be found. Guess they changed the exhibits after he left the last time.

We stayed at the Marco Polo that night, and Mom was very amused because my room was decorated on the walls and floor with Winnie the Pooh decor. We even got baby shampoo and a rubber ducky in the bathtub. Guess there aren't many 26 year olds traveling with their parents and staying in the same hotel room as them.

Dinner tonight was in celebration of Mom's birthday, cake included. One of the rooters is a minister, who offered to renew my parents' vows as a birthday gift. They politely declined. After dinner, we went to a night market to buy another suitcase, since we've somehow obtained a lot of stuff for 3 people who said they weren't buying anything in China. It brought me back to the good ol' days of haggling. I could have stayed there and haggled forever, but it turns out everyone else didn't care about haggling over a dollar.

We stopped quickly at a sporting goods store
Who Wore It Better feat. Mama OWho Wore It Better feat. Mama OWho Wore It Better feat. Mama O

Mama O is starting to look like the locals.
on the way home, where Mamie bought a Clay Thompson sweater (he's sponsored by a Chinese company and you can only get his stuff in China). She didn't have enough cash on her, so she started pulling through her red envelope money she'd set aside to give to people as tips. The store employee thought she was an elderly woman who was spending all her red envelope money on a sweater, and asked her if she was sure she wanted to buy it because it may not be the best use of her money. He changed his mind as she shifted through her $100 USD bills in search of enough Chinese RMB.

OK only one week behind now. More to come soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Ain’t Got Nothing On a 90 Year OldAin’t Got Nothing On a 90 Year Old
Ain’t Got Nothing On a 90 Year Old

The man on the right is 90 and in very good health. Pure muscle. He shared a 5 minute speech (in Chinese) of how to live like him.
Squab For DinnerSquab For Dinner
Squab For Dinner

Never tried it, but a new favorite. Only complaint is it is so hard to eat! You literally dismantle the whole bird and eat the whole thing, eyes and brains and beak and all!
Trying To Eat The HeadTrying To Eat The Head
Trying To Eat The Head

It’s harder to eat the head than it looks.
The Biggest Jin Dui In All The LandThe Biggest Jin Dui In All The Land
The Biggest Jin Dui In All The Land

It’s the size of her head!!
CrabsCrabs
Crabs

Why does the food always come fully assembled here?
Lots Of Dummies!Lots Of Dummies!
Lots Of Dummies!

Anyone that’s been around my family has heard the dummy argument. Dad ordered a dummy, like the one pictured in the museum, and has never been used in the 15+ years he’s had it. He’s used this one now more than the one at home.
Fit For A ChildFit For A Child
Fit For A Child

The floor in my hotel room.
Wave To The PeasantsWave To The Peasants
Wave To The Peasants

We celebrated everyone’s birthday who had one while on the trip. This was Mom’s actual birthday though.


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb