The Rainbow Mountains of Danxia


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Zhangye
July 26th 2016
Published: July 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
We didn't stay in Zhangye bit decided to go up into the mountains to Sunan, at about 3000 metres above sea level, for some fresh air and its much cooler than down in the desert. Sunan is also home to a small community of Yugu, a Chinese ethnic minority. Quite a rare one of only about 10,000 people and most of the Yugu live in and around Sunan. You wouldn't really know it as no one wears the ethnic costume. There is a pretty little park in the centre of town with lights and buildings sporting the traditional married woman's pointed hat. There is also a traditional costume shop in the town where we popped our heads around the door.
Anyway, back to Danxia. It probably would be easier, and quicker staying in Zhangye as we took the bus we came up on back to the mountains this morning. There are two formations, the rainbow mountains and a kind of karst type mountain park that the Chinese seem to call 'ice mountains' although the pictures on the billboards we passed showed an almost Grand Canyon type scenery. We just visited the rainbow mountains as there are a lot of stairs and the sun is very strong and the altitude.
There are buses that shuttle you around to four viewing places, one of which was still being built, and then you climb up to the viewing platforms to overlook the mountain range.
The mountains are quite spectacular seeming like an artist's swirling palette. The photos really do not do the colours justice and it must look even more amazing in the winter with the introduction of snow.
The park was very busy as it seems to be a stop off point for tour buses going to Jiayuguan and I can only imagine here getting much busier.
Great value at 74 rmb, including a fee for the bus to take you around the park which was very well organized and very clean.

Enjoy the photos

Jah Bless


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb